Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 911...Opinions?  (Read 13068 times)

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
Re: Fahrenheit 911...Opinions?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 02:17:55 PM »
MindtheGap76.  I read the whole thing for BFC and dang.  Not only did he bend the facts but Blantently mislead everyone.  It is sad how Hollywood can mislead the public.  I get sick anytime I see anything about him.  I saw video of him at I believe the Canness film festival in France and saw how everyone was applauding him.  And not only applauding a Standing inovation.  How ignorant these people are.

I worry about what this new film is going to do to people.  I bet by the end of the movie they will be thinking Bush crashed the plane himself.  The General Public is so stupid.  They'll believe anything they see in a movie.  Those are the people who need to be under a dictatorship.  To tell them what to do, what to eat, wear, believe, etc.  I feel sorrow for America.  I think we are more lost than ever.

And I'm afraid that this movie is going to cost President Bush a lot of Voters.  Which it is ok to vote against him but they will be basing their facts on this movie.

Also.  I would watch BFC again and pic out those faults but I rather spend my money on something a little more educational like a TOM GREEN movie

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 02:24:45 PM »
Gimme a break.  Because before people were voting based on tons of research and thoughtful consideration?  If that were the case, these candidates wouldn't even invest a dime in television ads because there is no substance there...I think we can all agree on that.  I hope Bush loses votes as a result of this and I love how much it is pissin' off Republicans.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 02:42:38 PM »
True.  People don't do research on candidates.  Yet most of those people don't vote too.

This could cause people who dont' vote to vote.  Yet ignorant voters.  Which are worse than not having voters at all.  And if your wondering how ignorant voters are get this.  Practically every financial expert has shown that are economy is growing by leaps and bounds.  One of the largest growths in history.  Jobs are being created everywhere (And not any thanks to the democrats) by private business owners.  Clearly the economy is going up.  Yet a poll showed that 49% of Americans think the economy is getting worse.  Not even staying the same but worse.  Those are the people I don't want voting.

Now I believe Polititions are all a bunch of liars and crooks.  But some are worse than others.  I don't like Kerry by any means.  I think he is the biggest liar and a terrible one at that.  He can't keep them straight.  And he flip flops on everything.

He was for the war in Iraq and supported Bush almost more than his VP.  Then when the war started going bad he acted like he was never for it.  He was one of the Largest Opposers to the Vietnam war.  Which is good.  I like him for that.  Because it is his right to protest.  But what I don't like is how he protests the war in Vietnam yet he brags on his very Shaky record of it.  Like his First purple heart. 

I rather have a president who stands by his word.  Even if he does make mistakes.

And another side note on how ignorant Americans are.  More Americans voted on "American Idol" than they do at election time which determins THEIR LIFE!

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 02:52:11 PM »
I have to step in for a moment.

Let me start by saying I am a Republican, and a conservative, and I do not support John Kerry for President.

However, please do not disparage his military record, specifically the awarding of his Purple Hearts.  Military regulations clearly state that a Purple Heart is received for any wound, no matter how minor, received in combat with the enemy.  I have friends who received Purple Hearts in Iraq for wounds similar to Kerry's, and frankly, they deserved them, because their "minor wounds" were inches away from ending their lives. 

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »
Do you know that the one of the main goals of the Republican campaign is to portray Kerry as a flip-flopper?  You are spilling out Republican ad slogans and you don't even know it!!! 

Kerry hasn't been flip-flopping.  Any and I repeat ANY politician be it Republican or Democrat would look like a flip-flopper unless you took the care and time to understand the concept of riders and how they are added to bills.  Even though you want to vote for certain things, sometimes the opposition party attaches riders that make it impossible for you to vote for the bill.

I agree that it is painful to watch ignorant people vote.  Why, for example, do Southerners typically vote Republican when they are also the greatests recipients of the social programs that Republicans vote again and Democrats are for?  Do you know after the last election, there was a study done on the relationship of bookstores per capita and the way a county voted?  There was a very strong positive correlation with bookstores and folks that voted Democrat.  Correlation without causation?  Doubt it.  Republicans know that the more educated people become, the  more liberal they become. 

I know I used to be for the death penalty...in high school.  Then I continued my education and learned of the myriad reasons why the death penalty is useless and morally repugnant.  I also dramatically changed my stance on immigration.  If I had only graduated high school, I may have kept these ignorant views.  Unfortunately, your Republican party keeps trying to derail the education system...they know who votes for them.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

jgruber

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2004, 02:58:01 PM »
Right now I would like a good flip-flop from Bush.  How about something like this?

I screwed up and I'm going to bring in the UN, give them complete control, because the US has become the problem, not the solution.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2004, 04:24:13 PM »
Right now I would like a good flip-flop from Bush.  How about something like this?

I screwed up and I'm going to bring in the UN, give them complete control, because the US has become the problem, not the solution.

How about he does you one better and let's the Iraqis govern themselves?  Free from any sort of external occupation, UN, US, NATO, or otherwise.

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 06:11:37 PM »
Well I understand his record.  My Great Uncle got a purple heart for a paper cut wound from a Grenade on his neck.  He didn't like getting it though.  mainly because it was so small and it came from another soldier dropping a grenade by accident.

The thing about his Purple hearts is his first one.  Which is his smallest.  It was treated with a bandaid.  But what is Shaky about it is it has beenr reported by his Fellow troops on the boat with him said he was firing morters onto rocks where there was no enemy spotted and that it riquoshade (not sure how to spell it) off a rock and hit him.  The actual doctor who treated him doesn't believe he shoudl of got the purple heart and doesn't think he is fit for president.  And every single one of the troops he served with protested him being president

n_boucha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 11:02:57 AM »
Rip-off.

I must say, I have never been fond of Michael Moore.  Although the subject matters he touches upon do interest me (I'm a political scientist after all, anything regarding what’s been swept under the carpet by the W. Bush administration interests me), he reminds me of those researchers that only use the numbers that work for them and trash the rest, i.e. personal agenda (if your going to Bush-bash show me the whole picture instead of jumping on the band-wagon).  I'm not saying the guy lies, per se, but in Bowling For Columbine for instance (and to some extent in Roger & Me as well), the only thing I got out of the movie was that he had access to a camera, and a simple mind (either that or he thinks his viewers are simple-minded).  I have a beef against people who claim to be thinkers yet only touch on the surface of things, the sensational aspect of those things anyway (and those which sell well obviously).  Fact is, Bowling for Columbine is regurgitation from journalists, editorialists, and other writers who had already done their homework... far from being original.  Which brings me to the point of this message: Michael Moore’s originality.   Read Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury (a 1950’s book about the government burning all books in an effort to keep the people ignorant... basically about what happens when you destroy civil liberties), then decide how thoughtful and enlightened Mr. Moore is.  When I first heard of Fahrenheit 911, the movie, I did a double-take.  I was confused because I knew Moore hadn't written F451 so why was he making a movie out of it (then I found out what F911 was about and understood why he needed to pluck a catchy title from someone else in order to sell it).  What more, F911 the movie is about "the temperature at which freedom burns".  Interesting how Bradbury’s F451 was about "the temperature at which books burn"(451 degrees Fahrenheit).  Talk about unoriginal. I'd go as far to call that plagiarism.
I suggest to Mr. Moore that he drop the camera and see if he can make a sentence up on his own.  Give me new ideas and I'll pay to watch.   Until then, stop saying you invented the wheel.
We're not so stupid.
Nancy in Montréal.

ImRight

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »
When I first heard of Fahrenheit 911, the movie, I did a double-take.  I was confused because I knew Moore hadn't written F451 so why was he making a movie out of it (then I found out what F911 was about and understood why he needed to pluck a catchy title from someone else in order to sell it).  What more, F911 the movie is about "the temperature at which freedom burns".  Interesting how Bradbury’s F451 was about "the temperature at which books burn"(451 degrees Fahrenheit).  Talk about unoriginal. I'd go as far to call that plagiarism.

It's idiots like you that think this is a rip off instead of atribute that piss me off.  True Bradbury is pissed off, but that's because he has a movie deal in the works for F451. 

FACT: Titles are not protected by copyright

FACT: You can use anything for satire as long as it is not a person trying to remain a "private citizen."

FACT: EVERYONE in the WORLD who read F451 INSTANTLY got it when they saw the title of this film.  Why didn't you?

Once again,

ImRight