Law School Discussion

Fahrenheit 911...Opinions?

bobfett33

Re: Fahrenheit 911...Opinions?
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2004, 01:47:18 AM »
Just for the record, the last time we found out what was "really going on" with a war (the Vietnam War), it turned out that the American government had been lying to American citizens for about 25 years about Vietnam. 

Keep that in mind when considering how you might feel "years from now."

P.S. Not everyone was duped back then, and not all of us are duped now.

inthesun

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2004, 08:12:43 AM »
I don't think we are being 'duped,' but when I interned at a local news station, I interviewed a handful of Iraqi refugees, and after speaking to them, I can't say with 100% certainty  that we have no reason to be there.  Now, I know not all Iraqi's, refugees or those still in their country, feel that way, but after listening to the stories about pain and heartbreak, it is easy to understand why they felt like Saddam Hussein himself is a weapon of mass destruction.  This kind of revelation does not come easy to someone who adamantly opposed this war.   

ruskiegirl

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2004, 08:48:07 AM »
I don't think anyone is arguing against the fact that Saddam was a ruthless, heartless and cruel dictator.  The issue has more to do with the United States government fabricating and tweaking evidence to justify this war.  Everyone knew that Saddam was a terrible person, but that wasn't enough to get the American public to support military action.  This fact is evidenced by the presence of many other not-so-cuddly and sweet dictators throughout the world who continue to conduct their daily affairs while being largely ignored/uninterrupted by the US.  What's especially troubling about the campaign to gain support for military action in Iraq is the reliance on fear-inducing tactics.  September 11th was a tragic and terrible event, but we cannot let our own government use it to scare and manipulate us for years to come.

bobfett33

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2004, 09:40:11 AM »
And, inthesun, I obviously disagree with the original rationales for war (because they were all untrue), but beyond the fact that Bush II obviously lied egregiously about Iraq, I reject even the CURRENT rationale for war with Iraq.  I don't feel that what we've done is just, nor do I feel that it is legal.  Keep in mind that anytime the U.S. signs and ratifies an international treaty, that treaty becomes U.S. law, and any violations of that law should be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

I most sincerely hope that some alien race can come down to Earth and liberate me from the Bush regime.  And, I'll gleefully attend W's trial! I just hope the aliens down't bomb my house, arrest me and then torture me in San Quentin prison.

inthesun

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2004, 01:14:55 PM »
Bobfett, if it makes you feel better, they'd probably send you to Guantanamo Bay, and not San Quentin.

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2004, 02:36:44 AM »
da da dumb

bobfett33

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2004, 10:57:10 AM »
Well, hey, if they were really aliens, they'd probably send me to a prison on the ice planet Hoth, or something.  Long live Bush II.

jgruber

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2004, 11:38:16 AM »
Well, hey, if they were really aliens, they'd probably send me to a prison on the ice planet Hoth, or something.  Long live Bush II.

Elect a Bush; launch a war.  I think I see a pattern.

But remember.  As dubya said at the end of Bush War II, "Mission accomplished."

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2004, 11:40:04 AM »
The bottom line is that the US was never in immediate danger from attack from Iraq. We have misued our military superiority by attaking a nation that had no capability of using force agaisnt us. It would make more sense for the administraion to secure our borders and incoming goods, rather than starting a war. Itf it was abotu the 17 UN resolutions, then why didnt the UN back starting a war over it? They didnt because the costs greatly outweighed the benefits. Rather than calm the insurgence of terrorists recruiting, we actually helped by unjustifiably invading a muslim counrty. The Bush administration has taken a unilateral aproach to international relations which, if seen to its ends, will extinguish amicable relations in their entirety. We re better off cooperating with other nations, fostering coalitions and treaties. The ultimate test of this administrationís policies is how we would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. If we werent the hegemon, and say that CHina or Russia was, would we want them withdrawing from the kyoto protocal, comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty, and other such international conventions? If they did, how would their war on terror look if they left a job half done in afghanistan and then took the fight to the second largest oil reserves in teh world? Clearly we would feel agitated, less safe, and praying for a regime change. the shoe does not fit well on the other foot; thus, we should unelect Bush Jr.

bobfett33

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2004, 03:26:24 AM »
We should not elect Bush AGAIN in 2004  ;)