Law School Discussion

Fahrenheit 911...Opinions?

grahamers

• Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fahrenheit 911...Opinions?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 08:31:46 AM »
I tend to ignore Trolls, but ImRight has a point.  The entire name and tagline of the movie was meant as but an indictment of the Bush admin as well as a tribute to one of the best novels ever.  I would have thought that this would have been readily apparant to anyone familiar with the novel.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 08:33:35 AM »
I tend to ignore Trolls, but ImRight has a point.

Calling me a Troll?  That's what people call folks who are ALWAYS RIGHT!

Once again,

ImRight

ruskiegirl

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2004, 02:49:11 AM »
I just got back from seeing the movie.  It was, in sum, impressive. It will make you laugh one moment and cry ten seconds later. I highly recommend it.

There was a great deal of information presented at a very fast pace, and only multiple viewings would enable the viewer to make sense of the details (the general point, was, of course, quite clear).  I agree with many of his assertations, but being the skeptic that I am, I would like to cross reference and confirm some of the information he offered.  Much of the movie consisted of clips of statements, and I would like to do some back ground research to get a better sense of the context.

This movie has great potential to become a tool for a mass revolution in thinking if some of the people who are still riding the fence go out and see it.  I observed that many of the people going to see it were already skeptical (at the very least) about Bush and his agenda, and the result was preaching to the choir.  Because Moore is known to be such an ideologue, it is unlikely that it will attract any viewers that sympathize with the Bush administration. 

My only complaint: Moore doesn't take on Bill O'Reilley in this one.  Well, hopefully, there's a movie in the making devoted entirely to that topic.

grahamers

• Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2004, 06:52:54 AM »
My only complaint: Moore doesn't take on Bill O'Reilley in this one.  Well, hopefully, there's a movie in the making devoted entirely to that topic.

This is because Bill O' Reilley isn't worth the effort.  He has been documented as having llied so many times that he is now the mental equivelant of Rush Limbaugh. 

As a side note, if you want more info on the movie, visit michaelmoore.com.

L1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2004, 03:44:39 PM »
I saw the movie last night and thought it was great. I was weary that it would portray US troops as evil. But instead, Moore skillfully showed the pain that both sides face in order to save their lives and their country. Moore's point is that these US troops are there fighting with the impression, just as 70% of Americans believe, that Saddam was an imminent threat to the US and had close and collaborative ties w/ Al Qaeda. And just as soldiers, like my own brother who has had two tours, have fought to save us, the Iraqis are now fighting to save their country from corporate American explotation, which of course would benefit Bush, Cheney, and Baker.

I think that everyone should see this film, both conservatives and liberals alike. Additional information is never a bad thing.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2004, 03:45:49 PM »

This is because Bill O' Reilley isn't worth the effort.  He has been documented as having llied so many times that he is now the mental equivelant of Rush Limbaugh. 

As a side note, if you want more info on the movie, visit michaelmoore.com.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may look at that, but I would like to do some research of my own.  I am against having information spoon fed to me, whether it's something I agree with or not.

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2004, 04:43:01 PM »
My problem with the Moore hoopla:

There were superior documentaries that got significantly less press attention.  If you want a true ass-kicker, see "Fog of War" about Robert McNamara. That film avoids blatant partisanship, relies on primary source research, and STILL manages to be very riveting. And its connection to the current political landscape is equal parts subtle and stunning.

I also hear the recent "Control Room" is very fair and very well-made.

Anyone seen that one?

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2004, 04:46:22 PM »
I swear, the part where McNamara discusses his conversation with Castro 20 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis will give you shivers.  Rent it.

Lipper316

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2004, 10:00:47 PM »
I swear, the part where McNamara discusses his conversation with Castro 20 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis will give you shivers.  Rent it.

I definitely recommend this. One of the best documentaries about our government.

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2004, 03:52:15 AM »
->I was weary that it would portray US troops as evil. But instead, Moore skillfully showed the pain that both sides face in order to save their lives and their country.

Sorry don't f'ing know how you serious LSD'ers make those quotes
okay, just figured it out,
uhm...

Oh yeah, did you see the same movie I saw?

Do you recall two serious knuckle heads talking about putting on some good music in the tank's sound system and getting pumped up and killing and destroying *&^%.

I mean that was there, and I don't think MM "portrayed" it, I don't think he created it.  He just filmed a couple of idiots with a tank, rock music and a genetically low IQ.

"let the mother fucker burn"

ring any bells?

Seemed awfully evil to me, not that dark evil chuckle kind of evil, it was that I'm so ignorant, self involved and entirely without purpose in my life evil.  The true evil.

anywho