Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey Jeremy, is this commonplace in the South?  (Read 8639 times)

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
Re: Hey Jeremy, is this commonplace in the South?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2004, 10:41:04 AM »
oh...gotcha...I completely misunderstood.  I'm a goober.  The first step to recovery..admission.

reino de tejas.  clever
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2004, 10:58:40 AM »
This thread has really surpised me.  You all are very smart people, don't you see how contradictory your arguments are?  You mock Jeremy for insulting a group of people, referring to it as "ignorance."  However, you all are also insulting a group of people without any true knowledge.  The question was directed at southerners, and only southerners have a right to answer.  In addition, the different prom comment was strange as well, since the poster was stereotyping
of a group of people based on a single experience.  It would be the same as Jeremy making a general statement about homosexuals because of one experience.  I have lived in the south all of my life, and while there sometimes aspects along the lines of what you are talking about, ignorance is everywhere.  I've noticed that many times Liberals from the East Coast are so stubborn about their postitions, that it may be seen as "ignorant" and hardly progressive.  However, I would never make a general statement about the East Coast, because I've only had those isolated experiences with East Coasters.  My attempt at making a general statement, would itself, be ignorant. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Ginatio

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2004, 11:00:33 AM »
ahhh!!! but have you SEEN Deliverance? crazy southerners lol

This thread has really surpised me.  You all are very smart people, don't you see how contradictory your arguments are?  You mock Jeremy for insulting a group of people, referring to it as "ignorance."  However, you all are also insulting a group of people without any true knowledge.  The question was directed at southerners, and only southerners have a right to answer.  In addition, the different prom comment was strange as well, since the poster was stereotyping
of a group of people based on a single experience.  It would be the same as Jeremy making a general statement about homosexuals because of one experience.  I have lived in the south all of my life, and while there sometimes aspects along the lines of what you are talking about, ignorance is everywhere.  I've noticed that many times Liberals from the East Coast are so stubborn about their postitions, that it may be seen as "ignorant" and hardly progressive.  However, I would never make a general statement about the East Coast, because I've only had those isolated experiences with East Coasters.  My attempt at making a general statement, would itself, be ignorant. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

jgruber

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2004, 11:01:31 AM »
I've lived in the south for 20 years, I lived in the northeast for 26 years and i lived in alaska for three years.

Who can I talk about?

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

ruskiegirl

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2004, 11:03:25 AM »
Does living 10 of my 22 years in the South make me a Southerner?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2004, 11:06:57 AM »
I wasn't refering to Ruskiegrl or Jeffjoe.  You have ever right to speak.  Other people on this board don't have any experience with the south, and are making general comments about it.  They are who I am referring to. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2004, 11:10:17 AM »
as far as tolerance, the south displays the same variety of beliefs as the rest of the country.  I haven't seen anything in the south that I haven't seen all over the country.
This is 100% normal in the south.

which one is the truth? some people say the south is no different. others say its totally different. if the latter quote is true, then god help us all. maybe it would have been better if the confederacy had broken away from the union. if the south truly thinks this way, its just impeding any progress we're trying to make in society.

Even if "the South" truly did think this way (and I think this thread has shown that not everyone in the South shares the opinions put forth on that website), everyone has a different definition of progress.  I know a lot of people who think the legalization of gay marriage was a huge step back for society.  If different parts of the country were split off for having different concepts of progress and different ideologies, we'd have at least 50 different countries instead of 50 UNITED states. 

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2004, 11:10:36 AM »
I've lived in the south for 20 years, I lived in the northeast for 26 years and i lived in alaska for three years.

Who can I talk about?

No one. You move too much, so you're obviously hiding from something.

;D
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2004, 11:12:35 AM »
Amen Marista!  That is why you are one of my favorite posters.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

as far as tolerance, the south displays the same variety of beliefs as the rest of the country.  I haven't seen anything in the south that I haven't seen all over the country.
This is 100% normal in the south.

which one is the truth? some people say the south is no different. others say its totally different. if the latter quote is true, then god help us all. maybe it would have been better if the confederacy had broken away from the union. if the south truly thinks this way, its just impeding any progress we're trying to make in society.

Even if "the South" truly did think this way (and I think this thread has shown that not everyone in the South shares the opinions put forth on that website), everyone has a different definition of progress.  I know a lot of people who think the legalization of gay marriage was a huge step back for society.  If different parts of the country were split off for having different concepts of progress and different ideologies, we'd have at least 50 different countries instead of 50 UNITED states. 

jgruber

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2004, 11:14:43 AM »

Who can I talk about?

No one. You move too much, so you're obviously hiding from something.

;D

But not hiding it very well.