Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey Jeremy, is this commonplace in the South?  (Read 8940 times)

ruskiegirl

Re: Hey Jeremy, is this commonplace in the South?
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 11:18:47 AM »
I've lived in the south for 20 years, I lived in the northeast for 26 years and i lived in alaska for three years.

Who can I talk about?

No one. You move too much, so you're obviously hiding from something.

;D

But not hiding it very well.

That's because Big Brother (aka Johnny Ashcroft) is watching.

Ginatio

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 11:20:28 AM »
shouldn't you be at your hooters interview?

Sosua

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:41 AM »
Hook 'Em!

Prepares to watch Vince and Cedric demolish the Aggies

;D Maroon

ruskiegirl

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2004, 11:35:11 AM »
shouldn't you be at your hooters interview?

That's at 2pm today.  Wish me luck.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2004, 11:35:38 AM »
Hook 'Em!

;D Maroon

HAHA!  This board has so many tea-sips!  I can't post anything without getting a "hook 'em!"  LoL, gotta love the rivalry though. 

Saw 'Em Off!!!
Jason

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2004, 11:54:26 AM »
Hook 'Em!

;D Maroon

HAHA!  This board has so many tea-sips!  I can't post anything without getting a "hook 'em!"  LoL, gotta love the rivalry though. 

Saw 'Em Off!!!
Jason

Call me what you will...but I have no clue what you guys are talking about. None.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

Sosua

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2004, 12:22:08 PM »
Well, at least he's not OU. ::)

ttiwed

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004, 12:43:12 PM »
as far as tolerance, the south displays the same variety of beliefs as the rest of the country.  I haven't seen anything in the south that I haven't seen all over the country.
This is 100% normal in the south.

which one is the truth? some people say the south is no different. others say its totally different. if the latter quote is true, then god help us all. maybe it would have been better if the confederacy had broken away from the union. if the south truly thinks this way, its just impeding any progress we're trying to make in society.

Even if "the South" truly did think this way (and I think this thread has shown that not everyone in the South shares the opinions put forth on that website), everyone has a different definition of progress.  I know a lot of people who think the legalization of gay marriage was a huge step back for society.  If different parts of the country were split off for having different concepts of progress and different ideologies, we'd have at least 50 different countries instead of 50 UNITED states. 

i understand quite clearly that not everyone in the south thinks exactly alike. i'm talking about the prevalent sentiments among people in the region. but i do believe that the attempts to amend the constitution to ban gay marriage will, in the future, be viewed as efforts to trump the rights of the individual. similar to how we today view bans on interracial marriage as a rather bigoted idea.

and i'm not saying different parts of the country should split up because of variances in ideologies. i'm saying IF the south is as bad as some posters said, then the US would be better off without it. i didn't make any judgment call on the south, in fact i am the OP inquiring about the south in the first place.

"IF" is the operative word here, people. marista and maroonout need to review more logical reasoning sections!  ;D

thechoson

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2004, 01:17:44 PM »
I am 22 years old.  I lived 6 years in Alabama, from 1987-1992.  I lived in California (El Centro, San Diego, and Los Angeles) from 1995 till the present.  I will just present my view as I saw it, nothing more.

I lived in Huntsville, Alabama.  This city is not really indicative of the rest of Alabama, which is mostly rural. Even the other big cities, like Birmingham, are very blue collar and industrial.  Huntsville, because of Redstone Arsenal and the Rocket Center, was very tech oriented and thus kind of a white collar town.  I was 10 years old when I LEFT the town. So there are only certain things I could have witnessed that would have processed in my conciousness.  But as far as race goes, it was a divided city.  Population wise, almost 40 percent of the city was black, I believe.  However, I would usually only have about 1 or 2 blacks in each of my classes throughout elementary school.  Once in a while, I'd cross the "tracks" where there would be schools predominantly black. 

As far as the people and their mentalities towards me in terms of race?  I think one important thing to remember (I subscribe to this theory) is that blacks are subject to stronger, and almost a different kind of racism, than other minorities.  I think this would be true in the South, which has that legacy.  So me not being black, I can't comment on what black people were going through in Huntsville.  As a Korean, me nor my parents did not deal with much racism.  (I conferred this with my mom recently, who also shared the thought that she never was really victimized by racist attitudes her entire time there)  Quite frankly, it just seemed like the Southerners I dealt with were just too damn polite to be racist to me.  That sounds kinda silly, but it seems like the truth.  Most of the crowd I hung out with were the hold doors open for others, say Thank you Your Welcome Excuse me, apologize if you do wrong, type of crowd.  In short, I believe even if some people were looking at our family and thinking, "Those damn Koreans", they were just too polite to be anything but kind to us, at least on the outside. 

Huntsville was unique.  Most of the white people I was around were professionals. Whether it be doctors, teachers, or engineers, they were dealing with foreigners and minorities on a constant basis, so it wasn't like I was an alien or anything.  A big population of the people were military personnel, who had traveled the world.  This may have influenced their views as well.

See, the thing is, my family did do a lot of traveling within Alabama.  We went to smallish towns like Athens, Boaz, Madison, Decatur, etc.  We went to Mobile, Montgomery, and Birmingham, which are larger towns.  And sometimes we would stop by rural type of areas to take a piss or whatever.  Throughout all of this, my family can NEVER EVER remember a time when anything remotely racist was done to us. Whether its a slur, somebody refusing to serve us, etc.

Then again, I had to deal with the sterotypes from my fellow students.  But that did not bother me, I felt it was just ignorance combined with stupidity, and I relished the opportunity to show them that some of the things they had thought about "Orientals" was plain wrong.

Hence based on all of this, this is why I still have good feelings about Alabama.  Would I consider it a progressive state?  I don't know.  Would I consider Huntsville, Alabama a great place to live (besides the tornados) full of mostly great polite people?  Yes.

I've said a couple of times before that I didn't really deal with racism until I came to California, andI was surrounded by Mexicans.  For the first time in my life, I was hearing things like "Chink".  Kids wanted to pick fights with me and would gang up on me, huring insults at me in Spanish.  Minor things sure, but things I did not deal with in Huntsville.

Because of my positive experience, I can't help but defend Alabama, and the South in general.  What would I know, right?  But still, I travelled to Louisiana, Mississippi (ok I was just driving through), Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc.  And I did it by car, so we would have to stop once in a while and talk to people or whatever, or stay in a motel.  And we had no issues.  This is the lens I see the South through, even now.  Sure the South has its faults, but so does California (a progressive state?!! haha).  And sometimes it sickens me how some people I've met here, think of the South as some foreign country, full of KKK and idiot hicks who inbreed.  Sure there are some, but this is gross generalization that is quite unfair.  Everytime I tell someone who hasn't been there that I used to live in Alabama, they look at me like I survived a war or that I lived in Somalia or something.

There are people here in California that I've met who have been to Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc.  Yet the furthest East they've been is Las Vegas.  The USA is the greatest country on earth.  I think people should take the time to explore their own country. Get in a car, or a plane.  Travel to the South.  Drive around, talk to the people, visit things.  Draw your own conclusions from that.  But at the very least, before you die, visit as many places in this great country you can.

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2004, 01:25:39 PM »
quick question...

Someone once told me that the largest number of KKK members was in Pennsylvania. Is this true? I don't think they are the largest percentage wise...

just curious