Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances?  (Read 578 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Chances?
« on: June 09, 2005, 10:52:42 AM »
Im really worried about getting taken off of the gtown priority waitlist.. The reason Im "worried" about it.. is that I am in the process of buying a condo in Athens, GA.. to attend UGA LAW..and I dont want to close on a house and then get taken off of the waitlist..

As a pt applicant on the priority waitlist I figure my chances to get taken off are less than someone applying fulltime.. Ive sent in a letter of continued interest and all that.. I wonder how slim my chances are.. what do you guys think about getting off of gtowns waitlist this admission cycle?

Thanks in advance!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:55:06 AM »
Why dont you call their admissions office, explain your situation, and ask them what their expectations are regarding their PT waitlist.They'll give you much better advice than us slapdicks.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:57:12 AM »
Damn good point...

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 11:08:27 AM »
On second thought, it may be wiser to wait until June 15th.. when they promised I would hear something more.. I dont want to bager them.. I dont close on my condo in Georgia until June 29th.. so I guess I can back out up until that point.. I have lost $1000 earnest money and some broker fees if I dont close though.. So.. guess I'll call after the 15th if they tell me Im still on the waitlist.. Who knows, maybe they'll just reject me and I wont have to worry about it..  Predictions?

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 11:39:01 AM »
Where are you trying to work postgrad?

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 11:49:04 AM »
Probably in the south so UGA should be just fine.. But, Gtown is just more mobile.. I dunno, I think I would enjoy my life a bit more at UGA too.. but its hard to pass up an offer from a T14 school.. I was just reading some threads from last year about the priority waitlist.. and it doesnt look good.. I'll probably just get an update saying to wait longer.. or some such *&^%.. I dunno.. maybe Im too concerned with the rankings game..

psulawman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 11:52:23 AM »
I've also heard that some committee's will give you a status update if one is requested and you can show good cause as to why you need an immediate decision.  The adcom then basically looks at your application, rejects it, or places it on the top of the pile.  It handicaps you a little bit more than a normal WL candidate, but if you need to know you need to know.

I recently did it with a school because I have a nice job offer on the table and I needed to know an up or down decision before I accepted the job.  The adcom chair said I would hear either yes or no within a week.  But, he also said they usually reject most status update request.  So, there are ups and downs to it.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »
I was just askin and wondering if it was DC bc of your GWU PT acceptance. UGA will work well in the greater Southeast, but your right Gtown is more mobile. Would you switch to FT if you got in, eventually?

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »
Not sure I would switch or not.. Would consider it though!  Not considering GW because I dont think it opens up that many more doors than UGA.. Yes, I know its rep is a bit stronger.. But, its just not strong enough to sway me.. Gtown, on the other hand, might be able to sway me..