Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Princeton should have a law school...  (Read 3062 times)

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
Princeton should have a law school...
« on: June 09, 2005, 08:37:26 AM »
never understood why they didn't. It makes no sense to me that a school with their reputation wouldn't. Maybe if they did I would be staying in-state.
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: Princeton should have a law school...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 08:42:56 AM »
It's probably a good question.  I wonder where Princeton Law would debut when they got accredited. Trouble is if they didn't know they could quickly become a T14, then I don't think an Ivy League would add a law school, because they wouldn't have a school without a great reputation.  Although, of every university in the country without a law school, Princeton is the only one left with the name recognition to quickly get a school into the T14.  I could eventually see them challenging HYS in about 30 years.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:24:23 AM »
they tried it a couple of times in the mid-1800s i think but it never took off. They dont do med school either. professional schools dont seem to be their thing.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:51:49 AM »
I think Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School is its most famous grad school.

And Random, but--Didn't Carlton try to go to Princeton Law on the Fresh Prince of Belair?

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 10:53:11 AM »
Good memory yes he did.

NathanB

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 11:08:11 AM »
I thought this was odd too, it seems logical that they would have a law school.

I think ultimately tacojohn is right: They are afraid it won't be T14 and therefore, no go.

never understood why they didn't. It makes no sense to me that a school with their reputation wouldn't. Maybe if they did I would be staying in-state.

jdw112

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 11:31:56 AM »
I think that if Princeton tried to start a law school in this day and age, that they would have virtually no problems moving rapidly up the ranks. Seriously, I could imagine Princeton in the top 20 in less than 5 years, and in the t14 not much later. Princeton oozes prestige, has a huge endowment, and a great deal of alumni loyalty. With the proper planning, Princeton Law could have an all star faculty before opening its doors. If they were to give professors the latitude to teach in other departments, I could see many scholars going for it. The two biggest problems it would face, that I can think of, are: 1) It would take some time to obtain a significant number of law books. 2) It would take a while to build up a Princeton Law alumni presence. Still, it would rock to be part of Princeton Law's first graduating class :)

I dunno, maybe I am just dreaming :)

I thought he was trying to go to Princeton undergrad.

And Random, but--Didn't Carlton try to go to Princeton Law on the Fresh Prince of Belair?

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 11:35:35 AM »
That's exactly it. It would most likely be completely unwarranted, but the name alone would raise their rankings. Such is the fickle nature of academia.
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 11:36:48 AM »
Yeah but it has no real motivation to do so. Its already one of the worlds most selective and prestigious universities. Its not like there is a shortage of law schools. I dont think it would have problems acquiring law books, however, it can just buy them.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 11:39:14 AM »
I've always thought it kinda strange that Princeton doesn't have very many professional schools. I'm thinking back to my undergrad years, and I really felt that having all these graduate programs nearby benefitted me.