Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I live off of 30k in Los Angeles?  (Read 3859 times)

thechoson

Can I live off of 30k in Los Angeles?
« on: June 08, 2004, 08:36:47 PM »
I live here and yet I have no clue.  Anyone? Headmachine, I know you bus econ major you are making the big bucks

jgomez

Re: Can I live off of 30k in Los Angeles?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 08:38:07 PM »
when i graduated from college in los angeles, i only made 22K.  so yes, you can. 

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:39:05 PM »
when i graduated from college in los angeles, i only made 22K.  so yes, you can. 

uh.... when was this. What about inflation? And were you able to save any dough?

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 08:40:24 PM »
back in 1996, and no i couldn't save anything because i was dating someone, and had to commute 120 miles a day. 

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 08:48:26 PM »
back in 1996, and no i couldn't save anything because i was dating someone, and had to commute 120 miles a day. 

DAMN

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 08:58:39 PM »
30K a week.  Sure that's enough.

forthguy

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 11:27:50 PM »
Sure, it's going to be possible.  It ain't going to be fun.

My first "real" job after school paid $23K in Boston (in 1995.)  It's tough to live off of that, but it can be done.

Just break it down. Figure $2500/month.  You're going to lose maybe 1/4 of that to taxes (I'm guessing) so you'll net $1850/month.  If you can pull off a rent of $850/month, you've got $1000 left over for food, entertainment, utilities, transportation, etc.  Get a roommate and that helps, especially when it comes to saving.  (I had $430/mo in undergraduate student loans to pay off when I was making $23K.)

*shiver*

I know I wouldn't want to return to living like that.

Greg

rathpa

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 09:39:15 AM »
Just live in a VAN down by the RIVER.

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 12:25:47 AM »
Choson -- I live in the OC on 30 K a year, so yes -- it can be done.   >:(  I just applied for loans for next year -- what I make from my freelance gigs and what Pepp has decided is enough for me to live on adds up to about 26 K a year to live 12 miles from Malibu.  So let's split the difference and you can buy me Sushi on Thursday nights and invite me over to watch the Apprentice.
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 12:33:35 AM »
Choson -- I live in the OC on 30 K a year, so yes -- it can be done.   >:(  I just applied for loans for next year -- what I make from my freelance gigs and what Pepp has decided is enough for me to live on adds up to about 26 K a year to live 12 miles from Malibu.  So let's split the difference and you can buy me Sushi on Thursday nights and invite me over to watch the Apprentice.

When I woke up this morning, I thought this day would suck. I was wrong.  Shermy's Girl graces us with her presence. She has not changed her avatar.  And now a sushi invitation.  Now nothing beats eating Japanese food with a Japanese chick.  Except maybe eating Japanese chick while boning a Japanese food.