Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham vs. Santa Clara?  (Read 2443 times)

hsunami

• View Profile
Fordham vs. Santa Clara?
« on: June 08, 2004, 07:49:56 PM »
Hi guys,
    I'd love some input if you have any...I was accepted to Santa Clara University and was all set to go there when Fordham called me this morning to let me know that I'm off their wait list and have been accepted. I went to undergrad at UCLA and probably want to end up practicing law in the Bay Area or California, but Fordham is a pretty well respected school nationally. I'd love to hear feedback...

Ginatio

Re: Fordham vs. Santa Clara?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:57:44 PM »
If you want to work in the Bay Area, go with Santa Clara.

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:23:28 PM »
i'm no expert, but i too looked into santa clara. having spoken to their admissions people i came away feeling that they didnt have much to offer unless you were interested in internet patent law or tax law. the nice thing about those concentrations was they boasted 125k starting salaries. but if that's not your gig....might as well go to mcgeorge, and save 80k.

personally i think it's a no brainer to go to fordham...they're both extremely expensive in high cost of living areas. however, fordham has a much better reputation nationally. i wouldn't have even heard of santa clara if it wasn't within throwing distance of me.

MTher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 11:07:37 AM »
Hi there....just thought i'd give some friendly advice.  I live here in New York (actually about 2 blocks from Fordham's law school) and know quite a few alumns and current students there.  I'll just tell you that although it's a well-known law school, a lot of the people who go there or have gone there HATE it.  It's not a uniform response, but I have heard it enough to take heed.

On a side note, I'm going to Santa Clara and can't wait to be in the sun! ahhh....so excited. 

good luck with everything.

risk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:59:22 PM »
 FORDHAM....................PE OPLE ON THE EAST COAST AND NATIONALLY RESPECT THE SCHOOLS NAME AND THERE IS A TREMENDOUS ALUM CONNECTION.PLUS MIDTOWN MANHATTAN IS  A MIND OPENING EXPERIENCE

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:21:12 PM »
I've lived in Florida, Arizona, Illinois, and Pennsylvania. I had never heard of Fordham until I went on LSAC.org and looked at the list of NYC law schools. To be fair, I had never heard of Santa Clara either, but if you're in the Bay Area and want to work in the Bay Area, then Santa Clara is the way to go. I doubt too many employers out West recuit out of Fordham.

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/search.asp

do a search of the west coast firms doing business in the area you're interested in, and take a look at the list of law schools they recruit at.

FORDHAM....................PE OPLE ON THE EAST COAST AND NATIONALLY RESPECT THE SCHOOLS NAME AND THERE IS A TREMENDOUS ALUM CONNECTION.PLUS MIDTOWN MANHATTAN IS  A MIND OPENING EXPERIENCE

risk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:21:50 PM »
thats hard to believe

isaacgames

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 02:04:21 AM »
Fordham is ranked like 50 places ahead of Santa Clara- duh!  Fordham!!! 

hsunami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 02:57:51 AM »
Fordham is ranked like 50 places ahead of Santa Clara- duh!  Fordham!!! 

Fordham is actually like 60 spots higher on the US News ranking...but when i went to the NALP directory, I saw that only a small handful of firms in the West Coast interviewed at Fordham, compared to 30+ West Coast firms interviewing at Santa Clara. I know for sure I want to practice in California. Thanks for the input so far guys...anyone else have anything to share/add?

msher3yn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 10:02:41 AM »
This is some general advice that I have heard. In regards to rankings, if you get into a top 25, then go--you can get a job anywhere. Once you go beyond that, you should look for a school in the area you want to practice if that is important to you. This does seem important to you, and you just stated that tons of firms interview at Santa Clara, so I think you have your answer. I am from the NYC area, and my boyfriend lives 4 blocks from Fordham law. I have to admit that being in NY would be a great experience, and Fordham's reputation in this area is very good. It is a very competitive to get in, so congratulations on getting in, but at the same time, it might not be the best school to choose if you want to live on the West Coast. I think that if you are not concerned with the rankings then you should go to Santa Clara.