Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR question  (Read 1084 times)

Haz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LR question
« on: June 08, 2004, 07:44:09 PM »
Hey guys plz help me out.

Essayist:   Wisdom and intelligence are desirable qualities.  However, being intelligent does not imply that one is wise, nor does being wise imply that one is intelligent.  In my own experience, the people I meet have one or the other of these qualities but not both.

If the essayist's statements are true, then each of the following could be true EXCEPT:

(A) Most people are neither intelligent nor wise
(B) Most people are both intelligent and wise.
(C) No one is both wise and intelligent.
(D) No one is either wise or intelligent.
(E) Many people are intelligent yet lack wisdom.

I think the answer should be (B) but the scoring sheet states it to be (D).  How??  It says above that the people are either wise or intelligent but not both. In other words, (D) could be true, right? Thanks in advance.
Hello Wisconsin!

nathanielmark

Re: LR question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:47:18 PM »
its D because he has met people who are wise or intelligent, therefore since some people definitely meet this criteria, D must be false since it basically negates what he says.

B is wrong because the guy is basing his comments on people he has met, that may or may not reflect the greater population.  thus, b does not necessarily contradict his statements.

Hey guys plz help me out.

Essayist:   Wisdom and intelligence are desirable qualities.  However, being intelligent does not imply that one is wise, nor does being wise imply that one is intelligent.  In my own experience, the people I meet have one or the other of these qualities but not both.

If the essayist's statements are true, then each of the following could be true EXCEPT:

(A) Most people are neither intelligent nor wise
(B) Most people are both intelligent and wise.
(C) No one is both wise and intelligent.
(D) No one is either wise or intelligent.
(E) Many people are intelligent yet lack wisdom.

I think the answer should be (B) but the scoring sheet states it to be (D).  How??  It says above that the people are either wise or intelligent but not both. In other words, (D) could be true, right? Thanks in advance.

M2

Re: LR question
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 07:55:01 PM »
I remember this question..i completely missed the "except".
I really need ot think of a strategy right now to solve this problem...
Maybe I will pinch myself everytime I read False/Except/Not