Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Test XXXVII  (Read 2137 times)

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Test XXXVII
« on: June 08, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »
I'm normally decent at games, but this question has me stumped.  It's question 18 in section 3.

I'll post the rules and the question.

"A total of 6 boooks occupies 3 shelves -- one of the first shelf, two on the second, tree on the third.  Two books are grammars -- Farsi + Hausa.  Two are linguistics monographs -- phonology + semantics.  Two are novels -- Vonnegut + Woolf.  The rules are:
There is at least one novel on the shelf with Farsi grammar
The monographs are not on the same shelf.
The Vonnegut in not on the same shelf as either monograph."

#18:
If the Hausa grammar and the phonology monograph are on the same shelf, which must be true?
a) the phonology monograph is on the third shelf
b) Vonnegut is on second
c) semantics is on second
d) semantics is on first
e) woolf is on third

It seems to be that both d + e must be true.  If H + P are on the third shelf, then F + V must be on the second.  S can't be with "P" so it must be on first with W on third.  If H + P are on second, F + V are on third.  S can't be on second bc there's no room.  S can't be on third bc it can't be with V.  So it must be on first with W on second.  Right? Can S ever be anyweher but the first shelf here?  A W anywhere but the 3rd?

Any insight...please. 

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Test XXXVII
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:33:05 PM »
I meant to say that when H + P are on second, W must be on the THIRD, not second.  Sorry. 

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:33:17 PM »
I meant to say that when H + P are on second, W must be on the THIRD, not second.  Sorry. 

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 04:44:58 PM »
figured it out.  i'm an idiot.

TimZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 04:55:40 PM »
Funny. I just did this game also. The 3 others in this section are pretty simple.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 05:09:09 PM »
Is the answer D?

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 05:11:53 PM »
No, the answer's "E".  Top row: FSW Second: VW First: V

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 05:12:57 PM »
Whoops.  second row: PH .... my mind's everywhere today. 

newparent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 01:37:37 PM »
Yeah, actually I got the logic game about the different books.  I drew a simple diagram and used short names for the books - reading the long names of objects during the test can really confuse me.  Actually I thought that the long names were the most confusing part of this game - once I logically seperated them out it became fairly simple.

I cannot figure out the Green/Red truck game to save my life.  It's the third game similar to this one I get totally stumped on - I don't know why.  If someone can help me that would be awesome !!!

Here's the question (Questions 6-11)

In a single day, exactly seven trucks - S, T, U, W, X, Y, and Z - are the only arrivals at the warehouse.  No truck arrives more than once that day.  Each truck is either green or red (not both).  The following conditions apply
- No two consecutive arrivals are red
- Y arrives at some time before both T and W
- Exactly two of the trucks that arrive before Y are red.
- S is the sixth arrival
- Z arrives at some time before U

6.  Which one of the following could be the order, from first to last, in which the trucks arrive?
A) X, Z, U, Y, W, S, T
B) X, Y, Z, U, W, S, T
C) Z, W, U, T, Y, S, T
D) Z, U, T, Y, W, S, X
E) U, Z, Y, T, S, W, X

I figured out easily that it cannot be C, D, or E.  However, I cannot figure out why it is A (correct) as opposed to B.  The difference being is the location of Y.  Incidentally, question 11 asks for which of pair cannot arrive consecutivelly, and it is Y and Z, which I don't understand either and it may be the reason why I cannot figure question 6.  I guessed it properly as it was a 50-50 question, but that was luck.

Question 7 deals with which pair cannot be red - and it is T and S.  I assume that's because they are always consecutive.  However, in the Z X Y T U S W combination, I don't see any violations and T and S can both be RED.  All the other trucks can be green.  What is wrong with this combintation?

The way I understand it, the constraint with two trucks that arrive before Y are red means that there must be at least 3 trucks before Y (since two consecutive trucks cannot be red) and that all but 2 of the 7 trucks can be green...

I know I am missing something, and beside the obvious suggestion to my intelligence, can anyone point me in the right direction... ?  Thanks

TimZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 01:54:07 PM »
Exactly two of the trucks that arrive before Y are red.

So the earlist for Y to arrive is the 4th.