Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laser printer update...  (Read 2011 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laser printer update...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 05:26:03 PM »
What about networking your laser printer? Do any of the printers discussed above have network capabilities or is there an adapter you can get? I want to put my printer into a hole somewhere and not think about it except when I get up off the couch to collect printouts.

why would you need a network printer if you are only printing for yourself?

unless all your study group wants to use your printer as well.... ;)

blocked

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »
What about networking your laser printer? Do any of the printers discussed above have network capabilities or is there an adapter you can get? I want to put my printer into a hole somewhere and not think about it except when I get up off the couch to collect printouts.

You can easily network just about any printer with an external device such as: http://shop3.outpost.com/category/Outpost/Networkingtab/Wired+Networking+Hardware/Print+Servers?accipterAreaString=

And yes, I'm leaving an IT job to go to law school...

Eddie
St. Mary's bound

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 10:48:04 AM »

why would you need a network printer if you are only printing for yourself?

unless all your study group wants to use your printer as well.... ;)

So when you are sitting on the couch studying in front of the TV, you don't have to get up and walk your laptop into the printer room, hook it up, and print.  :o
3.24/161

Attending: Case
Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).
Denied: Too many

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 01:24:57 PM »
I have a spare PC laptop or two, but I don't really want to take them on a cross-country move just so they can be print servers, especially since it might be a hassle getting my Powerbook to make friends with them. Maybe I will though, in preference to spending $60 on a print server.

Thanks for the print server link! That's what I meant by "some kind of adaptor."
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

texas1

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »
OK the dell 1700 laser printer arrived yesterday...and it is even better than I imagined. I printed up a 20 page document on the draft setting, and I swear it was done in under a minute.

Plus, the draft setting is 600dpi...it also has two clearer settings (the best being 1200 dpi) I believe that the HP and Samusung only go up to 600dpi. Well the 600dpi is probably as clear as I would ever need, so the I'm sure that the HP and Samsung would have been fine, but it is nice to know that I can bump it up to 1200 for resumes and the like.

fat_daddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 09:51:33 PM »
OK the dell 1700 laser printer arrived yesterday...and it is even better than I imagined. I printed up a 20 page document on the draft setting, and I swear it was done in under a minute.

Plus, the draft setting is 600dpi...it also has two clearer settings (the best being 1200 dpi) I believe that the HP and Samusung only go up to 600dpi. Well the 600dpi is probably as clear as I would ever need, so the I'm sure that the HP and Samsung would have been fine, but it is nice to know that I can bump it up to 1200 for resumes and the like.

Do you have to buy replacment toner through Dell or can you get it at an Office Depot? I can see this being a hassle if you run out in the middle of something and have to order it.
Attending: University of the Pacific-McGeorge

texas1

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 10:03:22 PM »

Do you have to buy replacment toner through Dell or can you get it at an Office Depot? I can see this being a hassle if you run out in the middle of something and have to order it.

I haven't checked on that yet...I would probably have to get it through Dell, but since it gets 3000 copies per unit, I think I'll just reorder each summer...either that or always have an extra on hand!

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 02:17:36 PM »

I haven't checked on that yet...I would probably have to get it through Dell, but since it gets 3000 copies per unit, I think I'll just reorder each summer...either that or always have an extra on hand!

You have to get it through Dell (unless there is a generic brand).  WORD OF WARNING to all of those buying color laser printers, most printers must have sufficient toner in each of the 4 cartridges in order to print at all.  Translation: if you just finished printing a photograph to send to your parents before exams begin and you ran out of magenta toner, with most printers, you will be unable to print your black and white exam outline without buying a brand new magenta toner cartridge.  This is further complicated if you buy a printer from Dell or anywhere where you probably have to order the cartridge.  Just a heads up. 

I am planning on getting a black and white laser (and always having a spare toner on hand) and reserving my inkjet for color.
3.24/161

Attending: Case
Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).
Denied: Too many