Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laser printer update...  (Read 2059 times)

daven8844x

• View Profile
Re: Laser printer update...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 11:53:15 AM »
The biggest reason for me to get a laser is because I hate inkjets.  I've never had one that lasted me more than a year.  The paper feed goes bad easily (I guess from getting dirty), the print head gets gummed up if you don't use the thing enough.  I'm through with inkjets.  I will definitely be going laser.
3.24/161

Attending: Case
Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).
Denied: Too many

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »
Now that they are more affordable I probably will go with a laserjet too.  I'm just saying that if your strapped for cash, the printer is probably something you could save on.

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 02:55:57 PM »
Right now on Circuitcity.com, you can get a Samsung Laser printer for $71.99 after rebate and another $20 off of an extra $80 toner.  Pretty good deal (probably better than inkjet especially when you factor cost per page).
3.24/161

Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).

LaneSwerver

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 03:15:15 PM »
Samsung ML - 1740 (600 x 600 dpi - 17ppm - $.027 per page) - at newegg.com for $77.95

I bought this one from Newegg and have been very pleased with it. It's fast, prints very crisply, and I even use cheap-ass paper in it. I've printed a TON of stuff on it already (got it in March) and am still on the 1000 page toner cartridge that came with it. And the price is right. The downside is that I'm still waiting on my $50 rebate from Samsung, but the check is probably coming from Korea.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 03:59:36 PM »
Samsung ML - 1740 (600 x 600 dpi - 17ppm - $.027 per page) - at newegg.com for $77.95

I bought this one from Newegg and have been very pleased with it. It's fast, prints very crisply, and I even use cheap-ass paper in it. I've printed a TON of stuff on it already (got it in March) and am still on the 1000 page toner cartridge that came with it. And the price is right. The downside is that I'm still waiting on my $50 rebate from Samsung, but the check is probably coming from Korea.

Yeah, it takes a while for the rebate.  But the printer is a phenomenal value.  I love mine.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »
What about networking your laser printer? Do any of the printers discussed above have network capabilities or is there an adapter you can get? I want to put my printer into a hole somewhere and not think about it except when I get up off the couch to collect printouts.
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 04:17:02 PM »
What about networking your laser printer? Do any of the printers discussed above have network capabilities or is there an adapter you can get? I want to put my printer into a hole somewhere and not think about it except when I get up off the couch to collect printouts.

The Samsung does not.  I haven't found any respectable brand printers less than $250 that have networking.  I was concerned about this as well, but I have some extra computers laying around that I could make a print server out of, so I'm not worried.
3.24/161

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 04:18:07 PM »
I have a lexmark inkjet that lasted me 3 yrs of college, printing out lab report, course notes, etc. it was only like $35.00. Go figure the cheapest printer I ever bought lasted me the longest. Before that the HP and Epsons never lasted.

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 04:21:37 PM »
I have a lexmark inkjet that lasted me 3 yrs of college, printing out lab report, course notes, etc. it was only like $35.00. Go figure the cheapest printer I ever bought lasted me the longest. Before that the HP and Epsons never lasted.

Remarkable.  You got lucky! 
3.24/161

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
I have a 4-year-old HP 990cse that I keep around for printing pictures and duplexing.  I bought a USB hub and keep both plugged into my computer.  Very convenient.