Law School Discussion

Extracurricular Activities

Mike Kacey

Extracurricular Activities
« on: September 02, 2003, 02:26:24 PM »

I have a question regarding LSAC, the application process, and accounting for your extracurricular activities.  I am presently studying for the LSAT exam and also trying to get other items in order such as: transcripts, letters-of-recommendation, etc. I was just wondering how does Law Services really know you were the member of the clubs/student organizations that you claim to have been involved with? To my knowledge it doesn’t say anywhere on your transcripts in what you participated in and from what years were you involved in them. I mean I highly doubt it would be difficult to obtain the material to verify your participation but is that a matter of procedure, or is it reserved for suspect issues? Lets say, for example a freshman saying he was vice-president of his fraternity chapter, while it is possible that it would be true, it is still highly unlikely.

How or for that matter do you even have to prove you were a member of the aforementioned student organizations? What is the procedure if you have been out of school for some time, or just ceased involvement?

Any light you can shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!


  • ****
  • 519
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • View Profile
Re: Extracurricular Activities
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 03:59:58 PM »
I do know that organizations that are of a high stature in cuniversity (college) life, require an executive council member of the organization of the aforementioned club,group.  One example is honorary societies. I belong to a chapter of a national honor society and have been recognized this way at my university.  I will seek out a member of this group (that is either advisory council member or executive chairperson) and ask for them to write a letter to recognize my involement, and include (just in case suspiscion arose) this in the information sent to LSAC.  This is only what I persoally would do, maybe it is what you would want/have to do. It is ourely my opinion.  I aplogize that I could not assist you further regarding your question. But the next best piece of advice is to speak to a pre-law advisor of shool you have/will graduate(d) from, they may be able to give you the best and/or correct answer to your inquiry. Good luck!  :)