Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diabetes and the LSAT  (Read 1131 times)

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Diabetes and the LSAT
« on: June 08, 2004, 04:01:17 PM »
Hi, does anyone have any experience with this issue.

I have diabetes and use an insulin pen for my shots.  It's called a pen because that's what it looks like.  I would have to have it right by my side with my pencils and stuff. 

I would also need to have a few pieces of unwrapped soft candy (ie tootsie rolls) in the rare case I get a bout of low sugar.  It would be pretty disruptive to everyone if I were to pass out during the test.

I honestly did not think about it until now because diabetes is so integrated into my daily routine that taking my shots etc is something I just do automatically without any thought.

Has any one ever had a problem with overzealous proctors.  It's not like I can put away the insulin until after the test.

Thanks

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Diabetes and the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:07:33 PM »
I wouldn't think it would be a problem.  Just explain to the proctors what your situation is.  They should probably know anyway, since you're in a high stress situation and have a medical condition.  If it's really a big, big concern, I'd contact LSAC, and see what their recommendation is. Perhaps they can contact the proctor at your test center or something.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:06 PM »
Hi, does anyone have any experience with this issue.

I have diabetes and use an insulin pen for my shots.  It's called a pen because that's what it looks like.  I would have to have it right by my side with my pencils and stuff. 

I would also need to have a few pieces of unwrapped soft candy (ie tootsie rolls) in the rare case I get a bout of low sugar.  It would be pretty disruptive to everyone if I were to pass out during the test.

I honestly did not think about it until now because diabetes is so integrated into my daily routine that taking my shots etc is something I just do automatically without any thought.

Has any one ever had a problem with overzealous proctors.  It's not like I can put away the insulin until after the test.

Thanks

Rachel

I doubt they'll give you a hard time.  If it really looks like a pen, they probably won't even notice.  When I took my MCAT, these two girls had enough candy to start a bomb shelter all over their desks and the proctor never said anything.

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 01:29:49 AM »
i wouldn't even say anything.  the only thing i would do is make sure the candy is unwrapped prior to getting there, and just put them in your pocket so you won't make any unwrapping noise.

when you need some candy, just go into your pocket and put it in your mouth. 

honestly, everyone is concentrating on the test and won't even notice.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 01:06:05 PM »
Before making a fuss though, I'd *call* lsac and speak with someone first.  Just shooting off an email you probably won't get a reply, and just showing a proctor that you sent one doesn't mean they'll accept it if you don't a reply via email.

If you call them, I'm pretty sure they'd have a policy on this, so you may be worring for nothing.