Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: suffolk '08  (Read 861 times)

shao2007

• View Profile
suffolk '08
« on: June 07, 2005, 11:02:16 PM »
Anyone going to Suffolk in the fall and looking for an apartment and/or roomate. Mets fan at all

AEW100

• View Profile
Re: suffolk '08
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:18:59 AM »
As of now i'm headed to suffolk (unless i miraculously get of the st john's waitlist).  i'm pretty psyched and haven't figured out housing yet.  are you going to that housing thing in june?

shao2007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:32:35 PM »
i am sending in my deposit today so they probably didn't send me any info on a housing meeting, when is it?

AEW100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 09:45:43 AM »
It's June 24 - 25.  I'm not really sure what happens at it, but I signed up to go!

lawbunny23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 02:19:32 PM »
I'll be at Suffolk unless a waitlist miracle happens at Northeastern or Cardozo.  I've lived in Boston for awhile now so I'm just staying in my current apartment.  If you have any Boston-related questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

shao2007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »
just reading through the housing packet they sent out and I think i have narrowed it down to 4 areas i am thinking about. Any info on these neighborhoods:

-Beacon Hill
-North End
-South End
-Somerville

lawbunny23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 10:26:35 AM »
beacon hill is really nice and basically across the street from Suffolk.  it is expensive because it is such a great location, but i know some students find great places there and manage just fine.  i babysit for a few families in beacon hill and their apartments tend to be smaller, but very nice.  i guess it depends on your budget, but honestly, for the location, it might be worth it.  it is a great neighborhood, and besides being right next to Suffolk, you are right in the heart of Boston with everything close by - the theater district, shopping, great restaurants, tourist-y activities... pretty much anything you want. it is kind of what is considered the traditional boston neighborhood - big brownstones with brick sidewalks - very beautiful neighborhood.

i honestly don't know that much about the other neighborhoods you mentioned.  all i really know about the North End is it is the "little italy" area with tons of great restaurants.  as far as apartments and living there, i don't know much.  the south end has a great reputation, still close to suffolk though not as close as beacon hill.  as for somerville, i am no help. sorry! 

i can tell you i live in Brookline (Coolidge Corner area to be exact) which is just outside of Boston, and love it there.   right now i work pretty much next door to suffolk and take the T(metro) to work every morning - my commute is about 20-30 minutes, not bad at all.  it is its own town, but it is basically part of the city - very close to everything and has a city feel, not suburb-y.  i actually consider it part of boston even though technically it isn't.  it sounds like you are looking to stay right in the the middle of things, though.  hope this helps a bit, sorry i don't have more info on all of the neighborhoods you asked about.  good luck!   

shao2007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 03:24:53 PM »
thanks for the info. Since i'm taking out a loan and i got a good aid deal, i feel that for living i might as well splurge a little. Trying to live as close to the heart of things as possible. I'm coming from nyc and i really just need a place where i can find coffee at 4 in the morning (I have pretty much come to facts with the realization i a will not find chinese food at 4 a.m. any place else than nyc).
I was looking around and i found some moderate prices in the kenwood square area. How is that neighborhood?

ajumper

• AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergalway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 03:32:15 PM »
I haven't heard of Kenwood Sq could it be Kenmore Sq?

Kenmore is where Fenway Park is. (GO SOX!)

It's nice and affordable probably a 15 min train ride the centre.  There are plenty of bars and clubs and things to do.

The only drawback is the huge amount of undergrad students that live and go out there, it is one of the places to go in Boston for a night out and I know people that live there and can find that a bit irritating.

But overall not a bad location.

I live in SOmerville at the mo, for going to Suffolk it wouldnt be too bad.  Davis Sq ia a great place to live.  There are theatres, bars, bookshops lots of cool cafes etc.  It's like a village and has a great atmosphere as well as some amazing restaurants in the area.  it would probably take about 25 min to get downtown on the red line.  The rent is probably a bit more reasonable since you are a little further outside of boston.

Hope this helps.
Rejected by many but.....
In at BC and GWU.
Now what?

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 03:36:32 PM »
Try www.craigslist.org

I like Somerville. It's more surburan than the other areas, so it's a lot cheaper. If you don't have a car, make sure you live off the T since the bus system is a real pain in the ass. Davis Square is nice and fairly cheap.

Beacon Hill is extremely pricey. Yeah,you're right near the college, but since Suffolk is located downtown, you're generally only a 15-20 minute T ride away anyway, no matter where you live.

The North End is generally expensive, but it's very pretty. Make sure to go to Mike's.:)

South End-thanks to gentrification it's gotten more expensive. There's some tension between the new residents and the old, although you'd probably never notice it. I just know because I did nonprofit work in the area.

Other areas to consider:
Brookline-safe,some areas are moderately priced,suburban
Fenway-Fairly close to downtown, some areas are moderately priced, a very nice blend of suburban and urban. I lived there for a number of years.
Cambridge-Price and safety varies from area to area. I lived in the "rough" part(between Harvard and Lechmere) and found it to be pretty safe, but loud. There were some kickass restaurants.:)
Allston/Brighton-In the BU area,loud, full of college students, but fairly cheap
Roxbury- Generally very cheap, can be rough and loud. I lived there for years and,personally, I think the "danger" factor is vastly overrated. I'm sure a number of other people would disagree.
East Boston- Seems sketchy, but it's very cheap. Stay away from the area near the airport.
Revere-the longest commute, parts of it are nice, parts of it are rough
Newton-Second longest commute,can be very expensive, very safe