Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I the only one that has sleeping issues?  (Read 2386 times)

Victor

Am I the only one that has sleeping issues?
« on: June 08, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »
Like one night i'll stay up late (anywhere from 1 AM to 3 AM) studying/reading/ or watching a movie and i'll have a problem going to sleep afterwards. So I'll be up till like 1 PM that day, and thats when i'll sleep and wakeup like 6 PM. And this becomes my new sleeping pattern ( 1 PM to 6 PM). No matter how hard I try to sleep when it comes time to my normal sleeping patter (11 PM), it seems I have a hard time correcting the matter. It's weird because now i'll be asleep during the day and awake all night, when I veritably want to sleep during the night and be awake at day.

Now I bring this issue up because im afraid this might effect me when I want to take the LSAT. Has anyone else had this problem? Any safe remedies to the problem?

nathanielmark

Re: Am I the only one that has sleeping issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 03:15:16 PM »
excersize and forcing yourself up early are the best methods i know of. dont ingest caffeine past 4PM

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 03:20:56 PM »
Like one night i'll stay up late (anywhere from 1 AM to 3 AM) studying/reading/ or watching a movie and i'll have a problem going to sleep afterwards. So I'll be up till like 1 PM that day, and thats when i'll sleep and wakeup like 6 PM. And this becomes my new sleeping pattern ( 1 PM to 6 PM). No matter how hard I try to sleep when it comes time to my normal sleeping patter (11 PM), it seems I have a hard time correcting the matter. It's weird because now i'll be asleep during the day and awake all night, when I veritably want to sleep during the night and be awake at day.

Now I bring this issue up because im afraid this might effect me when I want to take the LSAT. Has anyone else had this problem? Any safe remedies to the problem?

so no job?  lucky fella'.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 03:22:37 PM »

i beg to differ.  have you ever been out of work?  i was pretty miserable when i got laid off a couple years ago.  took me about a month to find a new job.

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 03:26:20 PM »
Take melatonin at 11 pm, or whatever your normal bedtime would be, for a few nights. It will reset your body clock. Flight attendants and pilots do this all the time, because they have to adjust to new time zones. I did it after returning from Paris a few years ago, because I was stuck on Paris time and would wake up every morning at 4 am. Worked like a charm.

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 03:33:50 PM »
I'm in a similar situation... After pulling so many all nighters for school, I can't force myself to sleep any earlier than ~2-3AM. But my dilemma is worse, since I HAVE to wake up at 8AM for work.

Essentially, I'm sleep deprived during the week... my battery drains from Monday thru Friday, and then I sleep half the day on Sat./Sun.

It's pretty bad, but it seems normal, right? Weekdays are for working and weekends are for rest? right?  :-\

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 03:35:53 PM »
you can also get piss drunk and pass out in the early evening.  you should wake up the next day early enough to get a fresh start.

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 03:37:54 PM »
that doesn't work. you'll just end up waking up at odd times of the night to pee, and end up not being able to go back to sleep.

you can also get piss drunk and pass out in the early evening.  you should wake up the next day early enough to get a fresh start.

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 03:46:30 PM »
or you could go to the doc and get some xanax and do the same thing, take like 2-3MG, should knock you out til morning.

that doesn't work. you'll just end up waking up at odd times of the night to pee, and end up not being able to go back to sleep.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 03:48:40 PM »

i beg to differ.  have you ever been out of work?  i was pretty miserable when i got laid off a couple years ago.  took me about a month to find a new job.

I stated that he was lucky because obviously he isn't looking for employment if he's staying up till 3:00 am watching movies.  His income may come from parents or whatever, but it certainly isn't from a job and the no job situation isn't from being laid off...from what I can tell.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.