Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Desperately need advice  (Read 619 times)

Kevin83

• 167 / 3.6
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GatorKevin1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Desperately need advice
« on: June 08, 2004, 01:40:04 PM »
I really need some advice...

I am registered to take the June test (1 week). I previously signed up for the February test but, due to extraneous circumstances, never studied and making the decision to postpone required little thought.

I started at a 155 and always said I'd be content with above a 160. Though I signed up for Kaplan, I've only used it for self study, taking as many practice tests as possible for the last month and a half. My scores in the past 6 days (1 test/day) go like this (from yesterday back): 161, 162, 155, 160, 161, 156.

Obviously, what scares me are the 155 and the 156...those are scores I would be unsatisfied with, mainly bc that's where I started.

I've consistently scored around 83% LR, 72% RC, and Games has always been the X factor. The highest I've hit is around 62%, but when I do poorly it throws everything. At this point, I feel like I'll know my fate, should I take it next week, solely based on the games I'm given.

My thought process is this...throughout my studies, I can't say that I've really developed any new strategies except to move quickly. For logic games I learned about diagramming and that stuff...but nothing really new. When I do poorly in a game its nearly always bc of time and time becomes a factor when I have to correct very careless mistakes (whether they be from diagramming, misreading a clue, or skipping a clue). On the flipside, though I never really worked hard for the Feb test, this would be my second time postponing.

Should I postpone? Does it sound like there is much I can do to improve my score? Moreover, what kind of committment would it take from now until October? Will the studying I've done in the past 2 months even help me in October?

Feel free to post, but please also email me with a response)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:00:34 PM »
If you haven't used the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, then yes, I think you can improve your games performance.  I used the Kaplan basic LSAT study book, and their strategy for games is minimal, at best.  They say diagram, but that's about it.  There's no discussion of game types, no real help diagramming rules other than not laws and conditional reasoning, it's just pretty sucky.

The PS LG Bible is way more indepth, and will help you improve accuracy and speed.  You may not end up finishing all 4 games, but you'll get more questions right that you attempt and you'll be able to at least do 3 games with practice.

Postponing your score is entirely a choice you have to make.  If you do decide to however, I would definitely suggest picking this book up.  They're also coming out with a Logical Reasoning Bible, and that might not be a bad idea either.

Kevin83

• 167 / 3.6
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GatorKevin1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 10:54:31 PM »
Just wanted to move this up b/c I still need some advice from yall...

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 11:11:21 PM »
Yes, get the logic games bible and postpone.  You are basically not conistently scoring higher and you are back to square one.  Try taking a weekend prep course.  It is completely worth it to postpone (depending on your school choice).  B/C of the competition, the LSAT is a highly weighted factor.  If you want to go to a tier 3 or 4, take the test Saturday.  Otherwise, postpone.  Your school choices and future depend on it.  I took a course and raised my score as much as 11 points during the course of it.  I ended up scoring 7 points higher on the actual test.  Totally worth it. Good Luck!
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Hazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 01:03:46 AM »
If you can study leading up to the test in October, then you should propably postpone it.  It sounds like you don't really have much to lose by postponing it.  But if you do postpone, draw up a study plan of some sorts and stick to it.