Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to get in with these other #'s...  (Read 5242 times)

AlexPL

Where to get in with these other #'s...
« on: September 07, 2001, 09:05:39 AM »
OK I went to an Ivy League university and graduated with a 3.40 (with honors).  I double majored in both Political Science and International Relations.  I was involved in a great deal of extra-curriculars and was a national officer of an organization.

I have been working as a government consultant since graduation in 1998.  I also took some time from consulting to work on a judicial fellowship for a year with the State of California.

Unfortunately I got a 156 on the LSAT.

I was hoping to apply to Georgetown, GWU, Northwestern, Notre Dame, BU, BC, and Vanderbilt.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my chances.  Any advice and/or ideas are greatly apprecaited.

Thank you. :)

Jube

• Fear the Terriers. Woof Woof.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get in with these other #'s...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2001, 02:47:16 PM »
Imho, with a 3.4/156, those schools are going to be reaches. Your extras and Ivy degree might help you, but I'm not sure they'd be able to change a whole lot.

I'd say your chances at GULC, Vandy and NWU are going to be pretty low given their medians. BC, I hear, look for 3.5/160s.

BU is notoriously LSAT heavy. They do seem to give Ivy grads some leeway but its usually in the GPA department and not LSAT. BU is getting into "we're going to cut class size and be more selective to raise rankings" mode so they might be more critical about the lower LSAT.

I have no experience with ND . . . can't help ya there.

Good Luck! :)

:D :D :)

AlexPL

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2001, 02:59:28 PM »
Thanks Jube!

They are reaches but not impossible right?  

All I hope to do is get my foot in the door.  I have a lot of unique experiences (more than I've already revealed) and hope to be able to get my essay and resume read by the law schools.  I just hope that the adcomms will read my app and not just toss it.  Right now ND is my safety and I'd be very content going there.  The schools I mentioned earlier are just my first round.  I want to see if I get any responses from any of them, then I will apply to another three or four schools.  

Let me know if you have anything else to add.

Thanks  :D

Jube

• Fear the Terriers. Woof Woof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2001, 03:21:20 PM »
I refuse to say anything is impossible. ;) Every case is different so it's hard to generalize and say you'll never get in.

That said, realistically, unless ND is the lowest you're willing to go, I'd go for a lower safety. Schools in the middle of the Tier 1 pack tend to be gungho about raising their rank (cuz they're soooo close to breaking top 25) so they tend to be less lenient about numbers, esp. the LSAT.

Have you thought about retaking the LSAT?

I'm outtie. TTYL! :)

go4it

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 08:13:20 AM »
Hi there!
This is for all of us who don't have additional time to prove ourselves on the LSAT.  I had a 152/3.5 and graduated from Florida International University w/honors. I was admitted into Fordham, Tulane, Florida State Univ., Univ. of Miami and Stetson Univ.; as well as offered fin. aid. The best advice I can give is try your best, apply to all kinds of schools (1st, 2nd, and 3rd tiers) so you're left with options, and prove yourself in other ways (personal stmt, activities, work exp, etc.)  I personally did not have the time to do every single LSAT exam issued and the assignments that went along with the Kaplan course, while working and attending school full time, so I focused on sending out perfect applications.  It's important you stay positive, it will reflect in your application and I firmly believe make you stand out! :) Goodluck everyone!

sony1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 04:25:11 PM »
HI
I'm currently a junior in college and am looking to apply to law school in the fall.  I go to Colgate University and my 1 problem is that my GPA is only 2.60.  I have scored in the high 150's and low 160's on my lsat practice tests.  I know my GPA is gonna hurt me, but will they give me some leeway considering Colgate is a pretty tough school?  I was wondering what some moderate schools to apply to and some reaches would be.  I appreciate it.
Thanks!

Mr Fong

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 08:57:36 AM »
Hi,
I applied to ND last year and when I called them they seemed to be pretty strict with the LSAT score.  I don't believe they are looking for anything under a 158.  On top of that, one of my friend's sister received a 153 on her LSAT and had a 3.0 GPA and was accepted by Fordham, which she obviously took.  It really depends on what type of school you are applying to.  Hope this helps.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 12:56:37 AM »
Better late than never I guess:
I would say based on what I have learned on this board that after you are looked at by numbers then they look like they will reject you (your LSAT is good so they shouldn't) then they will use an index to rank how difficult your school is on average and maybe you will be given extra consideration based on those revalations.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

law school hopeful

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2003, 06:07:36 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where I might get in with these numbers. I have a 3.95 GPA from American International College, Majored in Acoounting. I currently have a 3.95 GPA in my MBA program. I got a 148 on the LSAT. I am starting on tuesday a new job as a accounting lab instructor. Any info will be greately appreciated.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2003, 09:59:08 PM »
Despite such a good UGPA and GGPA since your LSAT is a 148 your options are limited.  But you can go to the LSAC website http://www.lsac.org and there you can search via LSAC data search from within all ABA approved law schools based on your UGPA (not GGPA but in your case they are the same) and LSAT here are the results (give or take because of your circumstances many schools will take into account your GGPA being so high and take your LSAT score as being only lower because you are a poor standardized tester or because you had extenuating circumstances * sorry to come off so bluntly) After looking into the results because of your UGPA being so high your options are not that limited, in fact it would take a long time to give you the list to choose form so check it out personally I will give you the admission breakdown: 51 schools have admitted 90% of the people with your credentails and 80 have admitted over 75%, 23 schools have admitted between 60-80% whereas only 13 have admitted b/w 40-60%. Lastly 56 schools have admitted less than 25% of the people with these credntials (3.95 GPA and 148 LSAT) 36 schools admitted less than 10%.
Now that you can kind of see your options I will set the record straight a little bit, all of the top tier schools are sitting at about 25% and below with Harvard and Yale sitting At below 10%, 2nd tier schools such as UA and ASU are in the 40-60 range.  And so on and so forth to veiw all of the details of these schools and your chances for all these shcools as I have metioned go to:
http://www.lsac.org  then hit the link (3rd form the top on the homepage "Official Guide to ABA Approved Law Schools"
then from there a link 4 places form the top entitled: "LSAC data search" then from there you can input your info such as under the GPA (3.95) and under the LSAT (148) you will then be able to seee what schools will admit a percentage of people with these exact same credentials (the higher the percentage the better your chances obviously) then if you want more info just click the school and you can get a plethora of info like the medians of LSAT and GOA admitted and how much does it cost to apply or tuition etc..  Hope this helps you out let me know okay. Have fun and good luck!  ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141