Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full Ride at Ave Maria... what to do?  (Read 6099 times)

withj

Full Ride at Ave Maria... what to do?
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:08:15 PM »
I got accepted with a full tuition scholarship to Ave Maria.

Numbers:
GPA:  2.97 (3.59)
LSAT: 168 (2/05)

Here's the thing: when I applied, I had been unemployed for over a year, was drifting deeper and deeper into debt, and had no second option. I had not completed my bachelor's degree, and found only two schools (Ave Maria and WUSTL) who would accept an application without my having a bachelor's, per ABA Rule 502(b) RE legal education. I missed WUSTL's deadline, but made Ave Maria's.

Now, I've been recently hired by a top company in my previous career industry. I can:

-finish up my 4-year degree, and have more LS options in a couple of years
-get out of debt and pay off my car in the meantime
-possibly take a TM course and redo the LSAT in the interim, scoring closer to my practice range of mid-170s.

OR, I can:

-accept the Ave Maria offer, and begin my legal education.

I am absolutely certain that I want to be a public interest lawyer. Even being hired again in my industry has not swayed me from that. I'm convinced that I'll get a first-rate legal education at Ave Maria.

It seems like the smart move is to be patient, and re-apply debt-free ith a bachelor's in a couple of years.

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks.

P.S. There's also the whole significant other thing to think about.

EDIT: My new company has a big Detroit operation. Could I possibly work part-time AND succeed in law school full-time, and have the best of both?

LaneSwerver

Re: Full Ride at Ave Maria... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »
Sounds like you know what you want to do.

withj

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 02:54:44 PM »
Sounds like you know what you want to do.

Not that much, actually. I'm maybe 60-40. I like the idea of having a wider range of LS options, but hate the prospect of another 2 years UG, which I have no interest in other than to qualify for LS admissions.

If I could defer my Ave Maria admission until 2006, WITH the renewable full tuition, I could get out of debt and pay off my car in the meantime. THAT might be the best of both worlds.

I don't have a lot of time to think about it, since I got my decision so late.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 04:09:52 PM »
Look at it this way: If you finish the undergrad and reapply, will you apply to Ave again? Do you want to go there rather than elsewhere? If the answer is yes, then go ahead and go. If you want other options, stick it out for two more years.

AMSOL2008

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 06:13:45 PM »
By part-time, do you mean less than 20 hours? I believe that a ABA requirement to take the Bar in any state is that you must not work more than 20 hours while in school.

withj

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 10:28:34 PM »
By part-time, do you mean less than 20 hours? I believe that a ABA requirement to take the Bar in any state is that you must not work more than 20 hours while in school.

Something like that, assuming I'm able to work any hours and still do right by my studies, which is far from a sure thing. I don't want to burn any bridges with my new employer.

I talked to Ave Maria today, and was told I can defer until 2006, and that's what I'm going to do. I'll mail in a seat deposit sometime early next week. That will give me a year to get out of debt, pay off my car, and save for my first year's books and living expenses. Not to mention getting mentally and psychologically prepared for the whole experience.

So, my mind is made up. I'm AMSOL2009.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 09:28:40 AM »

Something like that, assuming I'm able to work any hours and still do right by my studies, which is far from a sure thing. I don't want to burn any bridges with my new employer.

I talked to Ave Maria today, and was told I can defer until 2006, and that's what I'm going to do. I'll mail in a seat deposit sometime early next week. That will give me a year to get out of debt, pay off my car, and save for my first year's books and living expenses. Not to mention getting mentally and psychologically prepared for the whole experience.

So, my mind is made up. I'm AMSOL2009.

See you there next year.

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 02:00:34 PM »
Wait, Ave Maria will accept you without a bachelors degree? That's really cool! I think you've made the right choice. Two more years of undergrad sounds miserable if you are already set on what you are want to do. Besides, you can always transfer if you don't like Ave Maria. Good luck!

withj

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 02:38:19 PM »
Wait, Ave Maria will accept you without a bachelors degree? That's really cool! I think you've made the right choice. Two more years of undergrad sounds miserable if you are already set on what you are want to do. Besides, you can always transfer if you don't like Ave Maria. Good luck!

All schools are allowed to accept candidates who don't have a bachelor's. Here's a link to the relevant ABA standard, 502(b):

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/standards/chapter5.html

Why practically none of them will even consider such an exception escapes me, except if adcomms think it will hurt their USNWR ranking. I sent e-mails and/or made phone calls to betw. 40-50 Admissions deans, and found exactly two who invited me to apply: WUSTL and Ave Maria.

If I had had absolutely no choice, I would have spent the time and (considerable) money getting my bachelor's. Now that I don't, I won't.

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 03:42:27 PM »
That is so cool. Thanks for the link!