Law School Discussion

A (comprehensive) list of all June's LR questions - please add! 1 more to go!

mcleod13

Re: A (comprehensive) list of all June's LR questions - please add!
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 09:42:13 AM »
I put the same thing for the self depracating humor. but for the student evals, I put that the professor didn't hand out eval forms to those who he knew would give him a negative eval.

B.K.

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2005, 09:42:42 AM »
Eshy, we're talking about two different questions. I know which one you're referring to ( the flaw question) and i picked the same answer...adding more of the first thing does not give more of the 2nd thing. glad we're in agreement there. :)

maybe the question i'm referring to was on my experimental. i'm sure it was an assumption. it had to do with people reading widely, being a naturally gifted write...it required somewhat conplex diagramming for the missing assumption...but if no one else remembers it, it must have been the experimental section. my problem is i had RC first and second ( and fifth)...since exp. was 1 or 2, it's hard for me to remember which questions were from which section and i'm all confused now...

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2005, 09:44:57 AM »
There was aslo an assumption question about reading widely and being a naturally gifted writer...I can't remember what I picked, but did anyone else have this question? Remember there answer choice?

I don't think that was an assumption question, I think it was a flaw question.  The stimulus was something like, people who read more tend to be better writers.  Then, there's some person reads like a maniac, and therefore he's a very gifted writer.  It was an error of intensification, and I think the answer was E.  The answer was something like "People with a first thing are better than people with a second thing.  The argument presumes without justification that having more of the first thing results to having more of the second thing."  Not exact, but something like that.
agreed

mcleod13

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2005, 09:47:47 AM »
I am having a hard time right now. I don't agree with the answers posted about the money question. I can't remember what I put, but I do know I didn't put that one. I thought I had done really well till I read this post. :'(

mcleod13

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2005, 09:49:08 AM »
Also, I thought the question about sports food was easire to carry not easier to eat.

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2005, 09:54:44 AM »

IIRC the argument said that with the new system all evaluations would be fair. I picked the answer that said students will be able to fairly evaluate before the end of term. If you negate that then the argument falls apart - students will be able to submit unfair evaluations. If you negate the one about more bad evaluations it doesn't crumble, because a bad evaluation isn't necessarily unfair.

Funny. I actually just wrote a letter to LSAC regarding this question. I'll paste it here:

I believe one of the Logical Reasoning questions in the June '05 LSAT had two equally correct answers.

The question was regarding student evaluations, and if they are done on the computer it would allow for a more fair and accurate assessment of the teacher.
The question stem asked what assumption is the argument depending on.

One answer choice stated: Dissatisfied students are no more likely to submit evaluations than satisfied students.
This is necessary assumption because if this was not true, the argument would fall apart. It would not be a "fair and accurate" assessment.

Another answer choice stated: Students are equally capable of submitting a well-informed evaluation prior to the completion of the semester.
This is a necessary assumption because if it were not true, and students were not capable of submitting a well-informed evaluation prior to completion, then a system that allowed them to do so would not provide a "fair and accurate" assessment.

Please let me know your evaluation of this question. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
MalReyn

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2005, 09:57:31 AM »
MalReyn, I chose the 2nd answer.  I think the first is not correct and here is why.  Dissatisfied students are always more likely to submit an evaluation, generally speaking, than are satisfied students.  That's why you read posts about bad testing centers and not about good ones.  The fact that students were submitting them at any time of the term is key -- for the reasons you mentoined.  Hope that helps.

hilljack

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2005, 09:58:04 AM »
student evaluations of teachers
-students with bad evaluations won't be submitting more than the ones with good evals.

IIRC the argument said that with the new system all evaluations would be fair. I picked the answer that said students will be able to fairly evaluate before the end of term. If you negate that then the argument falls apart - students will be able to submit unfair evaluations. If you negate the one about more bad evaluations it doesn't crumble, because a bad evaluation isn't necessarily unfair.

The problem with B as opposed to E was that the stimulus said the new system would be fair. B said that students submitting under the new system would give insightful responses. It never said anything about accuracy or fairness. E addresses the fairness and accuracy aspect.

I agree...the answer was dissatisfied students are not more likely...

I remember there being something in the passage that made  fair evaluation before the end wrong.  Maybe the fact that the argument was simply that the new computer system allowed for an accurate distribution of those who liked the prof and those who don't.  Even if the students are not thinking straight or do not have all the info, they are still presumably submitting the evaluation in accordance with their beleifs.  If students who favor are disproportionately underrepresented in the online evaluation, the argument goes to hell.

hilljack

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2005, 09:59:13 AM »
MalReyn, I chose the 2nd answer.  I think the first is not correct and here is why.  Dissatisfied students are always more likely to submit an evaluation, generally speaking, than are satisfied students.  That's why you read posts about bad testing centers and not about good ones.  The fact that students were submitting them at any time of the term is key -- for the reasons you mentoined.  Hope that helps.

I don't think you were allowed to assume that

mcleod13

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2005, 09:59:54 AM »
I think it said that managers seemed to appreciate self depracating humor. Not that they had it.