Law School Discussion

A (comprehensive) list of all June's LR questions - please add! 1 more to go!

slangforchris

Re: A (comprehensive) list of all June's LR questions - please add!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2005, 09:28:14 AM »
Yeah that's what I put for the self-depreciation question. because those employees are evaluated positively even though they are self-depreciating could also mean that they would be evaluated more positively if they are not self-depreicating at all. I dont see two different groups in this argument.

A few points:

On student evals of teachers, I chose that it assumed that they could still submit an accurate assessment before the end of the term.  Otherwise the arg would fall apart.

For self-deprecating humor, I put that humor that wasn't self-deprecating would be viewed even more positively.  My reasoning was that it was still to your advantage if you didn't put yourself down even if that was viewed well because it would be viewed less well than if you did not.

The two groups are the manager's employees and manager's managers.

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2005, 09:28:48 AM »
On student evals of teachers, I chose that it assumed that they could still submit an accurate assessment before the end of the term. Otherwise the arg would fall apart.

I was debating between this one (I think it was B) and the one that said that dissatisfied students won't be more likely to sumbit evaluations than satisfied students (that was choice D).  I ended up going with E becuase the conclusion specifically said that the new system would allow for "accurate" evaluations of the range of opinions.  I figured if one group of students isn't likely to do the evaluations, how accurate can it be?  Also, the language in the other answer choice seemed too strong.  I remember it exactly, it said that "The students will be able to make wise and insightful evaluations before the end of the semester."  Wise and insightful?  I think that goes a little too far.  I could be wrong, but E seems like a better response.

meeno

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2005, 09:29:43 AM »
is there one with an answer where one particular group of students cannot be more inclined to report performance of professors than another group of students?

it was premise needed for setting up new computer evaluation programs to give more evenly distributed/accurate evaluations?

there was an answer that says how students can evaluate well before the end of semester
and another one that says the bad comments won't be submitted more than the good ones..
i picked the latter.

I picked the former.  It clearly said in the passage that they would hand it in early.  of course the assumption is how well the students can evaluate it at that time

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2005, 09:29:52 AM »
student evaluations of teachers
-students with bad evaluations won't be submitting more than the ones with good evals.

IIRC the argument said that with the new system all evaluations would be fair. I picked the answer that said students will be able to fairly evaluate before the end of term. If you negate that then the argument falls apart - students will be able to submit unfair evaluations. If you negate the one about more bad evaluations it doesn't crumble, because a bad evaluation isn't necessarily unfair.

BAFF213

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2005, 09:31:04 AM »
That's what I put.

Different question....the ink one is from the medication/blemish. Anyways I remember that it had the detective saying he could find suspects from the ink markings. I selected an answer (weaken) that said many cartridges/drums produce the same flaws in the same place. Something like that.

I chose that many cartridges are manufactured with the same exact nick.  That would weaken the arg that they can always find the precise printer it was printed from.

slangforchris

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2005, 09:32:47 AM »
On student evals of teachers, I chose that it assumed that they could still submit an accurate assessment before the end of the term. Otherwise the arg would fall apart.

I was debating between this one (I think it was B) and the one that said that dissatisfied students won't be more likely to sumbit evaluations than satisfied students (that was choice D).  I ended up going with E becuase the conclusion specifically said that the new system would allow for "accurate" evaluations of the range of opinions.  I figured if one group of students isn't likely to do the evaluations, how accurate can it be?  Also, the language in the other answer choice seemed too strong.  I remember it exactly, it said that "The students will be able to make wise and insightful evaluations before the end of the semester."  Wise and insightful?  I think that goes a little too far.  I could be wrong, but E seems like a better response.

The correct answer was that dissatisfied students would not be more likely than satisfied students to report nuer the computer eval system.  The stem said the new system would allow for an accurate assesment of the students' opinions.  If dissatisfied students are more likely to respond, that would skew the results.

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 09:34:23 AM »
student evaluations of teachers
-students with bad evaluations won't be submitting more than the ones with good evals.

IIRC the argument said that with the new system all evaluations would be fair. I picked the answer that said students will be able to fairly evaluate before the end of term. If you negate that then the argument falls apart - students will be able to submit unfair evaluations. If you negate the one about more bad evaluations it doesn't crumble, because a bad evaluation isn't necessarily unfair.

The problem with B as opposed to E was that the stimulus said the new system would be fair. B said that students submitting under the new system would give insightful responses. It never said anything about accuracy or fairness. E addresses the fairness and accuracy aspect.

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 09:35:27 AM »
There was aslo an assumption question about reading widely and being a naturally gifted writer...I can't remember what I picked, but did anyone else have this question? Remember there answer choice?

I don't think that was an assumption question, I think it was a flaw question.  The stimulus was something like, people who read more tend to be better writers.  Then, there's some person reads like a maniac, and therefore he's a very gifted writer.  It was an error of intensification, and I think the answer was E.  The answer was something like "People with a first thing are better than people with a second thing.  The argument presumes without justification that having more of the first thing results to having more of the second thing."  Not exact, but something like that.

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »
For gifted writers I think the flaw was that just because something is true of a group doesn't mean it is true for an individual.

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 09:37:20 AM »
The problem with B as opposed to E was that the stimulus said the new system would be fair. B said that students submitting under the new system would give insightful responses. It never said anything about accuracy or fairness. E addresses the fairness and accuracy aspect.

Exactly.  ;D