Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In off NYLS's waitlist  (Read 658 times)

Nellabella

• View Profile
In off NYLS's waitlist
« on: June 07, 2005, 08:45:33 AM »
Someone called me yesterday asking if I was still interested and then I received an e-mail this morning from the dean about an admitted students online chat next week.  I'm still waiting on St. John's and Hofstra though. How do Hofstra and NYLS compare to each other?

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: In off NYLS's waitlist
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:28:53 PM »
Congratulations on NYLS.  I was accepted to NYLS and Hofstra and waitlisted at St. Johns.  I will be attending Hofstra in the fall.

As per your question on which school is better, it's a hard one to answer.  As per US News Report Hofstra is better.  It is a 2nd tier school while NYLS is not ranked.  I think the name also holds a little more weight, as it is associated with a University.  I think that if you want to work in LI then Hofstra is the best choice by far.  If you want to work in Manhattan, then I think that either will be fine, if you do well in your class. For the Manhattan jobs, you are competing with lots of people, from other T14 schools as well as the big NY schools (Fordham, Columbia and NYU).  Not to mention St. Johns, Cardozo Pace etc.  So I don't really think either of them will get you that much of an edge in the job field, it wil depend more on who well you do in your class.  I'm biased of course, but I must say that the Hofstra Alumni appear to be very supportive of their graduates, and look out for them.

Hope that helps.

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 01:02:39 PM »
Thanks for your post Kdeevers.  I am also waitlisted at St. John's. I contacted Dean Harrison to see what my waitlist status is but I think I will go ahead and put down my NYLS deposit.  I've heard the same thing that you said regarding Hofstra and NYLS grads getting jobs in NYC.  They are basically the same. Good luck at Hofstra.

kookoogirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:31:14 PM »
hey I was rejected from NYLS but I also received an admitted students day email two weeks ago... what does that mean??

I never contacted them though because I wasn't interested in going there...

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 10:25:43 AM »
They apparently had a glitch in their system which sent the admitted students e-mail to all students with an active file.  But I did get in.  Got a call from the admissions office