Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Made my decision  (Read 827 times)

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Made my decision
« on: June 08, 2004, 03:57:41 AM »
I was vacillating between taking the test in June or postponing till October.  I decided to bite the bullet and take it in June.

I've completed a full length powerscore course.  It was great but I've varied between 155 and 164 on practice tests.  I reasoned it out this way.  I had the best course, the best teacher, and the best prep for me.  I practiced and practiced and practiced.  I feel it's like going to a swimming pool, sticking a toe in and out of the water.  If one doesn't take the plunge, it makes no sense to be there.

I'm not interested in biglaw or top named schools.  A tier three or 4 would suit me fine.  Jobs aren't going to be a problem.  I have many lawyers in the family and there are several spots available for me already, I just need my JD.  High LSAT scores can mean considerable financial aid, but I already have the money for law school in the bank, a scholarship isn't a necessity for me.  I've been extremely fortunate in these respects and I am truly grateful

I'm not a morning person, mid day to mid afternoon is my best time so the June test is scheduled at what is my best thinking time.

I'm strong in LR.  RC has always been a breeze for me and is my strongest section. I've worked on the games but I don't have much spatial reasoning ability so it's difficult to improve on something that isn't there.  I'm OK with having to take it again.

For all these reasons, I'm going ahead with the June test.

Good luck to those taking it on the 14th

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

Victor

Re: Made my decision
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:42:58 AM »
I was vacillating between taking the test in June or postponing till October.  I decided to bite the bullet and take it in June.

I've completed a full length powerscore course.  It was great but I've varied between 155 and 164 on practice tests.  I reasoned it out this way.  I had the best course, the best teacher, and the best prep for me.  I practiced and practiced and practiced.  I feel it's like going to a swimming pool, sticking a toe in and out of the water.  If one doesn't take the plunge, it makes no sense to be there.

I'm not interested in biglaw or top named schools.  A tier three or 4 would suit me fine.  Jobs aren't going to be a problem.  I have many lawyers in the family and there are several spots available for me already, I just need my JD.  High LSAT scores can mean considerable financial aid, but I already have the money for law school in the bank, a scholarship isn't a necessity for me.  I've been extremely fortunate in these respects and I am truly grateful

I'm not a morning person, mid day to mid afternoon is my best time so the June test is scheduled at what is my best thinking time.

I'm strong in LR.  RC has always been a breeze for me and is my strongest section. I've worked on the games but I don't have much spatial reasoning ability so it's difficult to improve on something that isn't there.  I'm OK with having to take it again.

For all these reasons, I'm going ahead with the June test.

Good luck to those taking it on the 14th

Rachel

Hey Rachel where are you from? You sound very passionate about law. Good luck.

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:49:39 AM »
Hi Victor,

I'm from NYC.  Staten Island to be exact.  Thanks for the compliment.  Not to sound like an admissions essay but I did always want to be a lawyer.  Most little girls played house and tea party.  I played Perry Mason.  My dolls and stuffed animals would be the defendant, jury, etc.

Yet, whenever any body suggested I become a lawyer, I'd go NO, NO, NO, NEVER.
The reaction was always, "Yeah right, you're going to wind up a lawyer.

So after a lifetime of protesting, I'm where I was meant to be.  I graduated with a degree in Paralegal Studies from NYU with a 3.85 GPA.  Once I'm in LS, I'll do well.  I just have to get over this litte hurdle of the LSAT.

Good luck again to all.

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:37:32 AM »
I keep trying to think of it as a "little hurdle," but my brain stubbornly refuses.  It turns little hurdle into "the last variable in your ls application and don't screw it up or you won't go to law school and what if there's a bad section or your run out of time blah blah blah."

Sometimes I want my brain to shut up.   :)

Victor

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 03:12:59 PM »
Hi Victor,

I'm from NYC.  Staten Island to be exact.  Thanks for the compliment.  Not to sound like an admissions essay but I did always want to be a lawyer.  Most little girls played house and tea party.  I played Perry Mason.  My dolls and stuffed animals would be the defendant, jury, etc.

Yet, whenever any body suggested I become a lawyer, I'd go NO, NO, NO, NEVER.
The reaction was always, "Yeah right, you're going to wind up a lawyer.

So after a lifetime of protesting, I'm where I was meant to be.  I graduated with a degree in Paralegal Studies from NYU with a 3.85 GPA.  Once I'm in LS, I'll do well.  I just have to get over this litte hurdle of the LSAT.

Good luck again to all.

Rachel

Oh, you sound familar . . . did you go to poly prep?