Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement Books  (Read 2921 times)

CaliToD.C.

Personal Statement Books
« on: June 07, 2004, 10:30:58 PM »
Does anyone reccomend any particular books to aid in the personal statement process?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Statement Books
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 11:20:22 PM »
Yeah, i've been thinking about getting a book as well, since I have no idea what the hell I'm gonna write!

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:34:42 AM »
there is a couple on amazon.  i may pick them up.  mine is already written, but i will probably refine it over the summer.

i am going to modify my resume for an academic audience also.  those are the major tasks on my plate post LSAT.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 11:51:22 AM »
Yeah, my ps is my next big task.  My resume isn't too much of an issue, since it's up to date.  But it does need major edits as it's kind of routine and bland.  My bf's father reads resumes for Gillette/Duracell all the time, so he's going to help me out.  Too bad he can't help out with the PS too!

NYBound05

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »
So basically, there are no particular, spectacular books that we're missing out on.  I've been looking for a good personal statement book as well and have been unsuccessful.  I've seen mediocre ones, but none that were especially helpful. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 09:34:50 PM »
supposedly the montauk book has good ones in it.  i am still getting up the balls to ask someone on this site to take a look at mine.

So basically, there are no particular, spectacular books that we're missing out on.  I've been looking for a good personal statement book as well and have been unsuccessful.  I've seen mediocre ones, but none that were especially helpful. 

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 02:15:55 PM »
hey green.  i'd love to have a look at it.  i'm a very good editor.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 02:26:46 PM »
hey green.  i'd love to have a look at it.  i'm a very good editor.

no *&^%... ill send it out then.. Thanks a bunch!

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 06:29:56 PM »
I'm more than happy to read personal statements too.  I went through about 20 drafts of mine last year, so I know how frustrating it can be.  I've posted this in other threads, and you can ask those I've read for, I really enjoy doing this.  I might very well use my law degree to be a press secretary or something else related to journalism, so this is all good practice.

If you send it to me in the next month I can get it proofread by professionals too, as we have a proofreading department at my office (though I'm very good at it on my own).  I'm pretty good at revisions and helping get you started on writing on a topic too, so let me know if I can help you.

You can send email to Kristi_Ann81@yahoo.com 
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

runnin_skeerd

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 07:28:01 PM »
I've read Barron's "Essays that will get you into law school".  It's short and to the point.  Gives 41 examples of essays that worked and directly quotes admissions officers about personal statements dos and don'ts.  It's only $11.95.