Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dell Computers? Who knows about them?  (Read 1178 times)

copey2001

Re: Dell Computers? Who knows about them?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 04:13:30 PM »
any X1 owners out there?

apparently not..i've been asking with little success

seu2002

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 05:25:29 PM »
bump

be10dwn

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 08:20:49 PM »
I just bought the 600m today. With the $750 coupon it was 1045. 

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 10:10:42 AM »
I have a Toshiba and love it.  Their customer service is consistently awesome (never on hold, etc.) and the machine is great.  They have reasonably priced models too.

I personally prefer a full size keyboard.  My laptop is something like 6 pounds with the full keyboard and a 15.4 inch screen.  I also think Dell's customer service sucks bad.  When I sold my Dell laptop I was soooo happy to never have to call them again!

What do you have now?  I was pretty much sold on the Dell 600m, but want to get perspectives on other brands.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 10:28:12 AM »
I was leaning towards the 6000 series; however, it seems a bit big. I'm still figuring it out.

I've had the Inspiron 6000 for about 3 months now and I love it.  It is slightly bigger and heavier than the 600 series, but you get a much bigger screen and full size keyboard.  I would never consider buying a laptop with a reduced size keyboard.  Try borrowing one and using it for a day.  I think you'll see that typing on it is a real pain in the ass. I carried my 6000 around in my backpack all week while I was scouring Chicago looking for apartments and it only really started to feel heavy at the end of the day, after several hours of constant walking.  It is more than light enough for anyone to carry to and from class.  Don't let the "bulkiness" of a 15.4" laptop scare you off.  I would draw the line at the monster 17" screens instead.  Now THOSE are some massive beasts!

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 10:35:07 AM »
Burgh, are you holding out for Penn at all or have you made your definate choice to attend Northwestern?

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
I have an Inspirion 1100, have had it for a few months, and love it. Here's the thing you have to remember about dell, and this would apply to Gateway as well. The computers that they sell really cheap are cheap for a reason. The trick is to increase the potential of the computer from the base level to something much more manageable. Here are some important items:
1. Always make sure to get Windows XP Professional. Home edition (usually the default) is what causes a computer to crash, not the computer itself).
2. Increase the processor speed, on a new computer today, you shouldn't be usuaing anything less than 2.4 ghz.
3. Increase the memory. At least 256mb ram, but I'd say 512 with today's software needs.
4. Make sure it has a CD Burner, floppy drives are becoming harder and harder to find.

If you make your computer to the right specs, it'll work. Too many people just go for the quick deal.

Nedearv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 04:39:41 PM »
I am currently holding an X1 in my hand (it belongs to a professor).  It is small and light.  It has a small screen and a small keyboard.  What is more important to you?  If performance specs mean more to you, you will choose another machine.

In the Dell realm, buy a Latitude over an Inspiron anyday.  Latitudes go under more testing than Inspirons and are less likely to need replacement parts from normal usage.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 04:43:02 PM »
Burgh, are you holding out for Penn at all or have you made your definate choice to attend Northwestern?

I havne't atually called Penn to withdraw my application, but I"m not expecting to hear anything back from them either.  Even if I did, I wouldn't consider them over NU at this point.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 04:45:24 PM »
3. Increase the memory. At least 256mb ram, but I'd say 512 with today's software needs.

I'd actually recommend an absolute minimum 512MB of memory, especially if your computer has integrated graphics and uses a portion of system memory for the on-board graphics card.  Almost all of the cheaper laptops do this, which means up to 64MB of your system memory can be eaten up to begin with.