LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:04:19 AM »
m

snikrep

Re: Judge/Lawyer Reputational Rankings According to USNews
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 11:46:02 AM »
Just wanted to bump this... as I've been toying with what schools to consider, I think this list is probably the most important single factor - I could care less about what US News reports, I figure all that really matters is the reputation of the school.

All of a sudden I'm leaning a lot more towards Chicago, this list definitely pushes me in that direction.  Same reputation as Yale or Stanford?  Heck yeah!!

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 12:15:41 PM »
Yeah, that's one of my reasons for wanting to do Chicago ED. They really do have a stellar reputation these days.

Also NYU seems a little low. Now, I've always known they're a little looked down upon between the CCN's, however based on clerking rates and where they can land them, it seems like they should at least be higher than Michigan and Virginia.

snikrep

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
Heh, I go back and forth, I hear that Chicago is in a pretty rough area?  I'd really like a place that's in a nice neighborhood, the location could swing me back to UVA (my first love!).  I don't mind Chicago being cold, but I do want some place that's safe and has comfortable housing (as plush as possible, lol, I don't want to be miserable for 3 years).

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 12:16:58 AM »

Actually, both Michigan and UVa appear to do better with top clerkships than NYU, at least with regard to scotus clerkships.  Both also place more nationally and have better academic placement.   
You must be looking at the old data. NYU has been beefing itself up lately and seems to be gaining ground clerking-wise. During the years 2002 and 2003 NYU got as many SCOTUS clerkships as Michigan and UVa combined.

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2004/10/supreme_court_c.html

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 12:51:02 PM »
By the same token, I don't think you can rely on data that goes back as far as 14 years ago to give you an accurate depiction of a school's current reputation. Granted it's only two years, but the fact that they sent 7 as opposed to Michigan's 4, Virginia's 3 and even Columbia's 5, seems relatively significant to me. For all we know, the bulk of Michigan's 20 since 1991 came from mostly the early 90's when they were still riding the wave of their high rank during the late 80's.

Perhaps their departing faculty will make a big impact and I hadn't known about their major departures so that would certainly be something to take into account.

miller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:58:28 PM »
Well, I have found that some of these top schools get much more respect than the USNews raking would give it credit. For example, BC and ND are way under-ranked. Lawyers hold graduates from these schools to be comparable to Vanderbilt and USC. Furthermore, BU and IU are ranked much to high; they are not well sought after and graduates often complain that they have only one or two options at graduation, and usually in bad markets.

SCgrad

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 12:41:40 AM »
I think NYU has a higher average LSAT than schools with better reps because so many people want to go to New York for whatever reason that they can attract several of the most elite candidates.

snikrep

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 09:24:31 AM »
I have no clue why USNews places so much emphasis on numbers like average GPA, LSAT scores.  Especially at the top schools - I'd much rather have them go after people who are well-rounded and interesting, not the ones who just have high numbers (although there will always be some that have both).  That's why the reputation is what really matters... in 20 years, nobody is going to care what the average LSAT score was in your class (my humble opinion).