Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to Davis  (Read 755 times)

Dunkelzimmer

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dunke1zimmer
    • View Profile
Going to Davis
« on: June 06, 2005, 03:11:39 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone got accepted at Davis and is going definitively.  That's basically my situation, and I'm surprised that a lot of different schools are discussed on this board and no Davis postings.  Is it because of the small entering class??  And the small entering class having a causal relation to it being in the boondocks??
Going from a Slug... to an Aggie.  Davis '08

"MAN PROPOSES, AND GOD DISPOSES." -TOLSTOY

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Davis
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 03:15:24 AM »
i decided to go.  its incredibly impressive and I am really excited:)

Have you found housing yet?  That is the only major downside (besides not being in or near LA) that I have found with it.

big. fat. manly.

Qbert duck mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 03:28:54 AM »
I've been living in Davis for the past 7 years and I've never had trouble finding good and relativly inexpensive (I'm from the bay area) housing.  We have tons of apartments and houses for rent.  I know the complex I'm in right now, not one I'd recomend, is a 1/4 vacant for next year. 

Also, Dunkle, I saw biking post and you'll be very happy here.  We have tons of bikers, both recreational and hard core.  You should go by the bike barn and meet up with the biking club on campus if you want to really get to know the area
165/3.4
Accepted off Waitlist: W+M, UC Davis, and W+L
In at Tulane, Hastings, Indiana Bloomington, Rutgers, Baylor, Seattle, and Oregon
WL and then rejected (thanks for wasting my time....can ya tell I'm bitter?) --> Boston U and WUSL. Quickly becoming a psycho law school applicant!

Dunkelzimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 03:32:16 AM »
Hey Anner,  were you the one who started the thread regarding UCD or Loyola?  If so, that incited some serious stats-checking and ad hominum attacks by others to others! lol, it was great.

Anyway, housing was not as hard for me to find since I live in NorCal.  Check out this site, www.davishousing.com  if you haven't already, it's posted on the admits page.  I have signed a contract with this place called Alderridge.  It's off Cowell Blvd, going towards "south Davis."  1k for a very decent 2bd/2ba/fire place apartment.  Not that the fireplace is important, but the neighborhood is very chill and relaxing.  I originally wanted to sign with Alvarado Sunset, near Davis High, but I wasn't too impressed and had a lot of second thoughts.
So what made you decide on Davis?  Personally, if I got into Boalt, I'd have thought twice, but even Hastings (from whom I withdrew my waitlist status) wasn't going to intice me after I got into Davis.  But what were some of your other choices?  I got into Santa Clara and USF, but the 10K+ that I'd have to shell out just ain't worth it when I can enjoy in-state tuition.

Qbert duck mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 05:15:22 AM »
Dunkel

Just curious, but what made you decide on Davis over Hastings?  I realize that according to the almighty US news Davis is higher, but personally I thought Hastings was the winner in so far as future career prospects and school opportunities. 
165/3.4
Accepted off Waitlist: W+M, UC Davis, and W+L
In at Tulane, Hastings, Indiana Bloomington, Rutgers, Baylor, Seattle, and Oregon
WL and then rejected (thanks for wasting my time....can ya tell I'm bitter?) --> Boston U and WUSL. Quickly becoming a psycho law school applicant!

Dunkelzimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 06:11:23 AM »
Dunkel

Just curious, but what made you decide on Davis over Hastings? I realize that according to the almighty US news Davis is higher, but personally I thought Hastings was the winner in so far as future career prospects and school opportunities.

Hey Qbert,

So I think you are right in pointing out that Hastings is potentially more lucrative in career options, if nowhere else, at least in SF.  But the exhorbitant rent, the tenderloins, and the lack of a collegial atmosphere is mostly what drew me away from it.  Since career prospects at Davis isn't so shabby either, provided that I do well, I figured cheaper (must cheaper in this case) rent, less distractions and the possibility to exercise anytime around the clock to be rid of some stress is enticing enough.  I'm def. a suburb/rural person when it comes to living.  I enjoy tranquility immensely, and I have this mantra that a poor student should not live in a big expensive city, getting plastered (occasionally, one hopes) is much less damaging to a meager bank account when you live in cowtown America.  But that once you make a career of some sort, the big cities are where it's at.

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:18:29 AM »
its late.  i am tired:(

so i will explain the davis bit tomorrow:)

talk soon:)
big. fat. manly.

cubby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 05:11:48 PM »
I am headed to Davis in the Fall.  I have just moved down to Sacramento from Oregon, and so far my only complaint is the heat!  It has been in the triple digits for the past week.  I guess that will just make it easier to study in the air-conditioned law library.  Has anyone started on the book for orientation yet?