Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missing White Female Alert  (Read 11860 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Missing White Female Alert
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2005, 12:27:33 PM »
are u going to CAU? have u decided?

That thread is way too long...sorry to rehash old news but the conversation reminded me of the situation there.  It was quite a big deal here for a week or two (I'm in Chicago).
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2005, 12:35:27 PM »
Yep, I'm all set.  I'll be heading to DC July 7-10 to look for apartments, I love this city but I think it's time for me to go.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2005, 12:44:23 PM »
good luck..i really hope that u find an affordable spot

Yep, I'm all set.  I'll be heading to DC July 7-10 to look for apartments, I love this city but I think it's time for me to go.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2005, 12:51:29 PM »
let's not assume that because BP is a West Indian from Barbados that he'd possibly know the demographics of Aruba

perhaps someone here knows better than we do. BP, perhaps?

why not? isn't it the same part of the world?   i am probably a little more knolwegeable than the average amerian about the demographics of say Poland or Latvia, even though i have never lived in either place.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2005, 01:06:21 PM »
ok let's use that logic for a second...

do you know the demographics of Peoria, Illinois without looking it up? afterall you are living in the United States..

let's not assume that because BP is a West Indian from Barbados that he'd possibly know the demographics of Aruba

perhaps someone here knows better than we do. BP, perhaps?

why not? isn't it the same part of the world?   i am probably a little more knolwegeable than the average amerian about the demographics of say Poland or Latvia, even though i have never lived in either place.

colforbin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »
ummm, Laci Peterson was Hispanic and looked kind of Hispanic. The difference is that the families had money, not that they were white. If a wealthy Asian, African American, or Latino family had a child that went missing, they two would get more media attention.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2005, 01:37:14 PM »
Laci's father may have been Hispanic, but I don't think people thought of her that way.
And while I do agree coming from an affluent background is a large influence in what gets press, I think race makes a difference as well.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2005, 04:14:58 PM »
Under the most elementary ruled of probability, this kind of stuff happens to white women more often because there are more of them.  Accordingly, it makes sense that we would see it covered in the press more than say the diappearances of Asian, Latino or Black women.

Additionally, the primary goal of any media outlet is to make money.  No media exec would prioritize making some sort of racial innuendo (i.e., white women are more important than women of color and their disappearances should get more attention)
 above making money.  The sword does cut both ways, I agree.  So if making a statement that disappearances of women of color deserve more attention cost millions of dollars, they wouldn't do it either.

Oh, uh, HBCU, one of those men who was being detained when he had "nothig to do" with the disappearance of the girl actually confessed to killing her this morning. 
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

StraightUp

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2005, 05:17:29 PM »
HBCU is talking about the two security guards that are still being detained, the person that admitted to killing the girl was one of three other guys detained, Authorities identified them as brothers Satish Kalpoe, 18, and Depak Kalpoe, 21, and their friend, 17-year-old Joran Van Der Sloot, the son of a judge .  Not the two security guards.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2005, 05:56:59 PM »
Media outlets are interested in advertising money.
Media execs believe that those people who have money to buy from advertisers are upper-middle-class whites.
That is why the disappearance of an upper-middle-class white woman will get more attention than the disappearance of anyone else, except the disappearance of a child.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php