Law School Discussion

LOR from a JC prof?

srbin84

• Vote Neifi for All-Star
    • View Profile
    • Email
LOR from a JC prof?
« on: June 04, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
I have taken some classes at a very large junior college during my academic career, and two of them were in Business Law I and II.  These classes really had nothing to do with business at all and were essentially an abridged version of some of the concepts that are learned in law school (according to the prof.).  I earned an A in each class and had a good relationship with the professor.  I think this would be an excellent professor to get a LOR from, but I have a question.  Does that fact that it would be from a JC prof. diminish it in ANY way?  Thanks, and let me know if you think this would be a good source for a LOR.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: LOR from a JC prof?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:51:20 AM »
One of my LOR's was from a JC professor whom I had a very good relationship with, I don't think it was looked at negatively at all. this sounds like a very good source for an LOR.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »
good to hear that.

cauz i transfered from a JC too.

:)

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:28:41 AM »
I say definitely go with the JC professor. Someone who knows you well and can speak to your academic ability is ideal. And another thing to remember -- the academic field is really tough, it's hard to get jobs, and that JC professor may have a PhD from a world-renowned school.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 01:15:06 PM »
IAnd another thing to remember -- the academic field is really tough, it's hard to get jobs, and that JC professor may have a PhD from a world-renowned school.

That point is true. I had a few JC professors with solid Phd's, including Berkeley and Stanford, as well as other UC schools.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »
True. Adcoms don't care about the prestige of the letter writer/signer, but what it says. A glowing letter from a TA is worth more than a form LOR From the head of your major department, for example. There were a few Berkeley/Stanford Profs at my JC, but my LOR was from a prof with an SF State MA.