Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: barry and stetson's rankings..  (Read 5191 times)

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
Re: barry and stetson's rankings..
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 08:18:59 PM »
well said bosco-

i'm just curious though for the other people who seem to put so much stock in the overall rankings but say that the speciality rankings dont mean anything...

does newsweek's weaker staff compile the speciality rankings or something---is that why you seem to live and die by their opinion on one thing...but yet say their rankings surrounding something else "don't mean sh*t"...

just curious.

"Que ve esta noviembre?"

tegra8

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »
simply put...

how many people know the top IP, health, environmental, etc law schools?

how many people know the top overall law schools?

borntofly021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 02:01:04 PM »
Because neither of them have the ability to get you a job outside their home state.

Also because student quality plays a major roll in the rankings and they both lack it overall.

Edited: grammar
I don't think it's fair to say that NO ONE from those schools can get a job outside of that state. I think at every school at least someone ends up working outside of that school's state. Even if it was just the top people in the class - still someone went out of state. I know two Stetson graduates who live in.... Georgia, not Florida. They are married, and they have their own law firm. AND... I met them at the country club I worked at, so obviously they must be doing alright with their law firm.
Crank up the band, play the steel guitar.
Hank it up a little, let's rock this bar.
Threw back a shot; yelled: "I'm a George Strait junkie.
"Ah-ooh-hoo, play somethin' country."

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 08:56:07 AM »
The regular rankings, flawed though they may be, have a formula. Lots of stats reflecting career placement, salaries, LSAT, GPA, reputation, acceptance rate, etc etc etc all go into an equation. The sub-rankings are just the results of a survey that gets passed around, where people are effectively asked to list schools they think have good programs in those areas. The top ten get printed, the rest go on the website.
Returning to your advocacy point: those rankings mean even less, and are low on the prestige scale, which translates directly into rankings. even if you go to the best advocacy school in the US, your experience coming out will be nothing. If you get hired by the litigation dept. at a firm, you will likely not go to court for years. Lawyers often go work for the AUSA or the DA or Clerk etc to get experience. Very little advocacy training comes from school.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 03:29:26 PM »
well said bosco-

i'm just curious though for the other people who seem to put so much stock in the overall rankings but say that the speciality rankings dont mean anything...

does newsweek's weaker staff compile the speciality rankings or something---is that why you seem to live and die by their opinion on one thing...but yet say their rankings surrounding something else "don't mean sh*t"...

just curious.

We care about the main rankings because they determine what kind of jobs and salary as well as how markeyable people form those schools will be.  Employers put a lot of stock into those rankings.  Conversely, nobody knows or cares about the specialty rankings because they dont effect much.  Vermont is awsome at environmental law..... congrats to them, but it doesn't change the fact they they are a regional school.

Simply put, we care about the overall rankings because they effect us and our futures, but the specialties do not.

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 01:47:53 PM »
Stetson has a great reputation here in Florida. Especially here in Tampa. But out of the state it does not. This doesn't really mean that much. Look at it this way, a Stetson degree (if you do well) will get you in the door at a LOT of Tampa, Orlando, etc firms. Once you have worked there for a few years, where you went to school will matter less. You will be able to go many more places on your job experience than you will in the beginning with a Stetson degree. Basically, going to Stetson does not preclude you from working anywhere. It just may make it a little harder or a little longer wait to get a job out of state.

As far as Barry goes, stay away from there. They lost their accreditation once and everyone in school there at the time had to start all over. It is possible it will happen again. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Stetson is MUCH better. Probibally tied for the second most prestigious LS in Florida.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
interesting...tied with what as the 2nd most prestigious?
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 09:37:34 AM »
From all the lawyers I have spoken to here, it goes like this (as much as I hate to admit it ;) ):

1. UF
2. FSU/Stetson
3. UM

Now, this depends on the area. I am saying that on an average statewide, this is how it is. Obviously if you go to Miami, UM might move up to 2nd and Stetson would move down. And if you are in Tally, FSU would move ahead of Stetson. But this has been the impression I have gotten from firms in several areas of the state.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 10:06:45 AM »
The lawyers I've spoken to in the state of FL have it as:

1. UF
2. UM/FSU
3. Stetson
4. All the rest

Lawyers I've spoken to who practice in the Northeast have it as:

1. UM
2. UF mostly, but some consider FSU and UF on the same level.
3. Everyone else

The rankings are flawed, and favor schools with smaller classes so don't put much stock in them, most lawyers don't unless they have ego problems.

If you want to practice anywhere in Florida if you do top 10% at UF, Stetson, Miami or FSU you'll land the same job.  If you're in the top 1/3 the only school that has great placement all over the state is UF, and that's because UF has the largest alumni network. After that it's regional, if you want to work in S.Florida go to Miami, if you want to work in North Florida go to FSU and if you want Tampa go to Stetson.  However, that's only for your first job, once you get experience and make a name for yourself if you have legal talent you'll be able to land a job anywhere in Florida at top firms after 5 years. 

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 10:15:07 AM »
I pretty much agree with FloridaGuy except that I found that, surprisingly, many lawyers really did not have a good impression of UM at all and said that, especially in the last 5 yrs or so, they prefer Stetson grads. But FloridaGuy is totally right that if you do well at any of these schools, you will get basically the same job. As far as regions go, this is how I would break it down:

North Florida: 1)UF close second=FSU
Central Florida 1)UF 2)FSU/Stetson (more Stetson in Tampa/St Pete of course)
South Florida 1)UF 2)UM

Also, probibaly the two biggest legal markets in the state (for private practice) are Miami and Tampa. For any type of government position, etc. a degree from FSU will help since it is in Tally.

Just some thoughts. I intereviewed at a lot of firms in Tampa and had quite a bit of interaction with lawyers while in Tallahassee. These are just the impressions I have gotten. Basically, if you do well at UF, FSU, Stetson, or UM, you will be fine in the state of Florida.