Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4587 times)

Re: I've decided to take it easy and not rush with law school.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 04:33:45 PM »
here i thought you put something perverted  :D

No, I am not that clever.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 01:33:51 AM »
I am graduating two years early in May '06. How old are you? I am going to be 19 in December, and I am looking forward to the new experience with law school. I don't think my GPA would go up in two more years (Around a 3.5).

Hey! I'm already 19 and I'm going to be graduating December '06. So I'm going to be doing 2 1/2 years instead of the originally planned 2 years like you are doing. Are you applying this Fall or taking a year off before law school?

That's cool to know someone else is in a similar position. I am glad now though that I am taking this extra half year and possibly a whole year because I've realized law school is very intimidating and I need to be fully prepared mentally for the challenge. It's not something one should rush into.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 11:47:14 AM »
I am graduating two years early in May '06. How old are you? I am going to be 19 in December, and I am looking forward to the new experience with law school. I don't think my GPA would go up in two more years (Around a 3.5).

Hey! I'm already 19 and I'm going to be graduating December '06. So I'm going to be doing 2 1/2 years instead of the originally planned 2 years like you are doing. Are you applying this Fall or taking a year off before law school?

That's cool to know someone else is in a similar position. I am glad now though that I am taking this extra half year and possibly a whole year because I've realized law school is very intimidating and I need to be fully prepared mentally for the challenge. It's not something one should rush into.

If you are intelligent enough to finish college in less than four years with a strong gpa, you are mentally prepared for law school.  I prefer to savor the intellectual experience, although I could graduate early.  In fact, I'm guaranteed admission (and likely $$$) at New York Law School through a program at my university.  But, I'd rather do it the way professional educators have designed the baccalaureate degree.  Also, there is a profile on lawschoolnumbers.com of some kid who graudated early, with a strong gpa and decent lsat, and didn't get in anywhere, possibly due to his age.  Law schools like people with life/work experience.  To be competitive at top law schools, you need work experience so I might take two years or so to continue working in a law firm. 

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 03:47:31 PM »
Brave has an excellent point. I don't understand what the big deal is with rushing into the working world or graduate school. I don't know ANYONE who says "man, I wish I had graduated college in 3 years instead of 4, working is so much better." And there is an enormous amount of maturing and changing that goes on during those years that has absolutely nothing to do with your classes. I know, I know, when you're 19, you think you're already completely grown up and can handle anything, that you're the exception to the rule, but please believe me, there is no reason to rush away from this period in your life just because you think it's impressive to your friends.

As far as law schools are concerned, I think you'd have to go out of your way to demonstrate that you didn't just rush through school for the hell of it (which it sounds like you did) but that you had a compelling reason for it. You have to show that you can do more than just study - you have to be able to deal with real life, real world issues and people. If two people have identical numbers, but one graduated college in 2 years while the other has 2 years of work experience post-college, I'm betting the schools will pick the older one.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 04:08:06 PM »
So wait a sec...you don't have a 4.0 and you rushed to finish undergrad?  What's the point of finishing early.  I don't believe that anyone is going to find this impressive.  I certainly hope that you will take more than a year and gain some life experience before starting LS.  I believe it will be a liability in interviewing if they discover you are only 23 or so.  I do the hiring for this firm, and I wouldn't hire you.  There is something to be said for "living" instead of hurrying through something.

Now if you were an engineering major with a 4.0 and rushed to get your education to go work helping with rebuilding in the tsunami zone, that impresses the hell out of me. 

A sociology major though?  Come on!

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 06:54:35 PM »
Blah blah blah.  It's your education and if you think you don't want to spend any more time in undergrad then you certainly should not feel obligated to do so.  All that will matter in 99% of cases is your GPA and LSAT score.  I think at 19 or 20 you can decide for yourself what you need to experience socially and personally.  If you want to graduate in 2.5 years you don't need your parents or people on a message board holding your hand and telling you to stay in school.  Study for the LSAT, rock it, and you'll be where you want to be if LS is your destination.  If it turns out LS isn't where you wanted to be all along you'll still be ridiculously young and will have learned your mistakes faster than most.

kristay

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 08:14:23 PM »
I disagree that you have to demonstrate to law schools that you didn't rush through just for the hell of it.  Although I did have reasons for finishing in two years, I did not mention any of these reasons in an addendum (though I did mention that I had graduated early) or in my personal statement.  In fact, I had one adcomm member tell me that it was impressive.  Also, I think that I had very good luck overall with my applications and don't think graduating early hurt me at all.

Interviewing for jobs, on the other hand, was a completely different story.  I had one prospective employer tell me flat out that she thought I was too young.

I would not have chosen to graduate as early as I did had it not been for personal circumstances, though.  I would have loved to stay in college a little longer and miss a lot of my friends who are still there.  That being said, however, I don't think it hurts you as far as accpetances go. 

gailrules

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 12:33:55 PM »
I think my experience is somewhat relevant:

I graduated in 3.5 semesters with 2 1/2 majors. If I had stayed the whole timei it would have been three majors. However, instead of trying to go directly into law school, I'm working for at least 2-3 years before applying. I found my early grad/multiple majors to be an asset when applying for jobs. I wasn't trying to impress anyone with my majors/grad decision, I was just persuing the things that were interesting to me on the timeline I was most comfortable with. When I started at my new company, people were really impressed with my background. They were like "wow...that many majors in 7 semesters...she must be pretty damn motivated. If she worked that hard to get through college, just think what she'll do for us!"

As for law school though, with my UGPA

gailrules

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 12:43:48 PM »
I hate my goddamn new keyboard. I wasn't finished! :-X

As I was saying, with my UGPA of only 3.3, I'm not sure ad comms will be care that much that I got out early, they'd probably prefer someone with only one major and a higher GPA. The one place I'll have to make up for this is the LSAT, on which I don't think I did very well on June 6, so I'll probably have to sit out a few years and wait take it again. They'll like the work experience and maturity for sure.

As for gradauating early and some of the sillier comments made previously on this board: Maybe you're one of those people (like me) who just didn't like college that much? I went to an enormous party school and while I loved (LOVED!!) the institution, the rowdy drunk thing got old pretty fast. So I don't think you should feel bad about graduating early if you don't feel like you fit in. Another thing that influenced my decision to get out early was my parents splitting up in the spring of my junior year and a desire to get back home with my family. My feeling is that situations like this are totally common, and if you have some reason for wanting to get out early, you should go ahead and do it, and you may or may not wish to disclose this reason on your LS apps. However, if you just want to get out early because it's *impressive*, I think future employers might be more impressed than Ad coms. Get a job and get some experience, it's only going to help you when you decide to apply.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 04:14:50 PM »
Btw, when you say you graduated in two or three years, it doesn't mean that you went to college for 2 or three academic years. It just means you completed four years of college before you reached the traditional graduating age of 22. So really, it shouldn't matter. You completed the regular four years - you just probably started a lot earlier. Who the hell cares?

If anything, and I know this is being kind of greedy, you earned an extra 1-2 years of attorney salary.