Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which class are you least looking forward to?

K's
 12 (11.1%)
Property
 24 (22.2%)
Torts
 12 (11.1%)
Crim
 11 (10.2%)
Con Law
 15 (13.9%)
Legal Writing
 34 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL  (Read 28788 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2007, 06:30:52 PM »
What the hell?  Civil Procedure!

We don't have property or criminal law until next semester :-P

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
What the hell?  Civil Procedure!

We don't have property or criminal law until next semester :-P

same
Columbia 3L

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 22, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
I don't have crim til next semester either.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

Quote from: Miss P
This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Interesting...that could actually be a good thing to get civ pro down first before you start reading cases in other classes.  Our school did the reverse, and case law didn't "click" for me until I had civ pro so...
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 23, 2007, 11:21:16 AM »
so I guess I went to the only retarded azz school in the country:  2 semesters of each the 1st yr:  property, K, civ pro, torts (and LW).  3 credits per course 'cept LW in the second semester which was 2.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 23, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »
Torts for a whole year?  I could understand property or contracts but not torts.

For our 1st semester, we did:
Torts
Property
Contracts
Crim

For our 2nd semester, we did:
Civ Pro
Con Law (I and II)
elective

and of course, LRW for the whole year
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 23, 2007, 11:34:49 AM »
Yep torts for the entire year.  Every other course was mandated to take either in the summer btw 1L and 2L or as a 2L.  So Evidence was mandatory and so were quite a few others.  ELECTIVE?!?!?!?  No such thing until 2nd year. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
Now that I'm 1.5 weeks from the start of 1L, I can better appreciate the advoce post that started the column.  Good looking out, Sands!  Also, what is K class?  Someone let me know.  Thanks!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
Now that I'm 1.5 weeks from the start of 1L, I can better appreciate the advoce post that started the column.  Good looking out, Sands!  Also, what is K class?  Someone let me know.  Thanks!

Contracts.
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2007, 01:49:39 PM »
So I remember this time last year I was getting really frustrated with reading cases.  How long it took, didn't understand the purpose, "well why can't they just tell me the rule".  Any tips for the 1Ls?  ???

My .2 to my own question:  it gets easier as time goes on.  But remember briefs should be brief.  My first few briefs were PAGES long.  Damn near longer than the case itself.  What should be in the brief: parties (last names), court, date, page # in the casebook (just in case u want to go back to it but u prolly wont) rule of law, few facts to help u remember what the case was about.   You may also want to "classify" the parties.  Who is suing who?  Not just "Hawkins v. McGee" but who were they?  I remember one time I got called on and I started with my slang terms.  I had written:   "shady azz wife vs her dumbazz hubby" "Cui, what happened in this case"  Well "shady a-, I mean the wife..." :D    But your briefs should be like "patient sues doctor..."

come up with ur own mini hypos with each case u read.  "This is the rule but if the facts changed to XYZ, then would the rule be the same?"

read the note cases dont skip 'em, sometimes they clarify the big ones