Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which class are you least looking forward to?

K's
 12 (11.1%)
Property
 24 (22.2%)
Torts
 12 (11.1%)
Crim
 11 (10.2%)
Con Law
 15 (13.9%)
Legal Writing
 34 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL  (Read 28534 times)

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2006, 09:28:37 AM »
KB, you know the beds in Gropius are wonderful this time of year, I hear... >:(

My life will suck beginning on August 29, 2006...

indefenitly.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

crazy8

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2006, 10:00:43 AM »
budump

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2006, 10:40:02 AM »
Law school is all about mind games...you will notice that when you get there. :P

i dont have enough mind left to play games with it

i dont intimidate easily, anyways, and its been a while since i really, really cared what anyone other than my wife and dog thought

I heard that.

The #1 mind game is after or before an exam. DO NOT, under any circumstances, talk to other 1L's before or after your exam.  Show up, walk straight into your test room, knock out your exam, and be up.  Exam day during 1L people's true colors come out. They snap.  They realize they're not ready. They panic.  They start asking questions like "so what is proximate cause again?" (true story)  You don't wanna have any of that negative energy on you when you walk into that exam room.  And afterwards, 1L's love to ask you "so did you get the issue in that 2nd question?" and stuff like that.  Again, avoid this negative energy. What's done is done.

Other mind games 1L's play: You'll be sitting in the library minding your own business and another 1L will come along and see how far you've got in the reading. Then when you answer, no matter how far you've gotten, they'll say they finished that yesterday or something like that, just to mess with you.

Other mind games 1L's play: As a condiction precedent on receiving a contracts outline, I once had another classmate make me swear not to share it with anybody else because "there are only so many of us who can get A's so this outline cannot be circulated."   ??? R U Serious...?

stuff like that.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2006, 10:42:32 AM »
So, top three things to do and top three things to not do during 1L?
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2006, 10:48:11 AM »

Just some in no order...

To do...
1. Get to know people (thier outlines and advice may come in handy)
2. Study 24/7
3. Help others when they need it

Not to do...
1. The gunner thing is played out
2. Read every single case in its entirety (legallines and lexis briefs for the days you know you won't get called on)
3. Turn in any memo without following the directions to a T!!!

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2006, 10:49:31 AM »
Top 3 Things To Do:

1.  Get involved in a relationship with another law student.  Law school was my first chance to date someone truly brilliant.

2.  Get your resume and job materials out early.  Early means before December 31.

3.  Go out and socialize.  I go out 4 nights a week.  You can find time for it, so do it.  This can be the best time of your life if your schedule correctly.

Top 3 Things Not To Do:

1. Given #1 in top 3 things to do above, don't *&^% where you eat.  Date one person at most from school, don't sleep around with other students.

2. Don't psych yourself out that law school is really hard.  Most people who find school unbearably difficult don't have a good work ethic or majored in underwater basketweaving in undergrad.

3.  Don't stop working out or sacrifice your health.  I know alot of people who think they are too busy to go to the gym, which downgrades their quality of life, makes them more tired and grumpy, etc.  Healthy Body, Healthy mind - its important.

That is all.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

faith2005

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2006, 10:50:49 AM »
lol, yeah some of those mind games are definitely played. but i never had anyone refuse me notes or outlines. im sure my section mates for all of their good intentions, were happy i missed so much of crim law. they were probably like, good, someone has to be at the bottom of the curve and better her than me. but that exam stuff is real. there were two people in my section who I actively avoided around exam time b/c they always had something negative to say and they were also so stressed that it rubbed off on you. my plan for my exams was to study in the changing room until about 15 minutes beforehand, then go to the room, turn on my laptop, turn on some goapele and look at my outline until the prof. came in. i think sands advised us to wear earphones last year sometime.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »

hmmmm....

I'll start with top 3 things NOT to do:

#3. Don't be a d!ck - your classmates are your future colleagues and WILL be the people you see for the rest of the time you will be practicing law. Don't burn any bridges and don't hide any books in the library; your professional career is on the line.
#2. Don't waste time briefing every case.  After you get it down, book brief and keep it moving.
#1. Don't mess with anybody in your class. 'Nuff said.

Things to do:

#3. Show up to class PREPARED.
#2. Make your own damn outline. - It's a pain in the ass but the classes that I've made my own outline for have always ended up being my best grades. It forces you to learn/organize the material.  
#1. Practice exams. Practice exams. Practice exams.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »
i'm a 0L, but here's mine:

things CN is not doing:

1. getting romantically involved with people who attend HLS
2. drinking every weekend
3. ...can't think of a 3rd

things CN will do:

1. go to class
2. read for class
3. complete practice exams and go over them with a study group
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2006, 11:03:58 AM »
i'm a 0L, but here's mine:

things CN is not doing:

1. getting romantically involved with people who attend HLS
2. drinking every weekend
3. ...can't think of a 3rd

things CN will do:

1. go to class
2. read for class
3. complete practice exams and go over them with a study group

I would keep #3 in you things to do. The rest I would switch categories LOL.