Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which class are you least looking forward to?

K's
 12 (11.1%)
Property
 24 (22.2%)
Torts
 12 (11.1%)
Crim
 11 (10.2%)
Con Law
 15 (13.9%)
Legal Writing
 34 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL  (Read 28705 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »
Thanks for your feedback Young & Sands.

are you going full time or part time?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
Part-time...I'll be working during the day.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2006, 04:23:49 PM »
hats off to you
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2006, 09:01:47 PM »
I prefer to study at home.  That way, my dinner/bathroom/mental health breaks don't get too out of control.  Bathroom breaks in the law library always included some sort of distraction or running my mouth.  It's just easier for me to go home, get settled, turn the tv to the smooth jazz channel, and bang out some reading. 

Plus, a lot of people like to put in a lot of face time at the library so that everybody else thinks they are studying (or to say "I spent 12 hours in the library yesterday") and they aren't doin nuthin for real anyway. Law school is all about mind games...you will notice that when you get there. :P

But, again, it depends on you.  My bf cannot study at home.  I can.  Just a matter of your own style....
Think before you speak.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2006, 09:07:32 PM »
I prefer to study at home.  That way, my dinner/bathroom/mental health breaks don't get too out of control.  Bathroom breaks in the law library always included some sort of distraction or running my mouth.  It's just easier for me to go home, get settled, turn the tv to the smooth jazz channel, and bang out some reading. 

Plus, a lot of people like to put in a lot of face time at the library so that everybody else thinks they are studying (or to say "I spent 12 hours in the library yesterday") and they aren't doin nuthin for real anyway. Law school is all about mind games...you will notice that when you get there. :P

But, again, it depends on you.  My bf cannot study at home.  I can.  Just a matter of your own style....

So true.

Folks will try to throw you off all year long with different tactics. Don't believe the hype. 
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »
I wouldn't trade my x41 for anything except an x60.  I have absolutely no complaints about it: perfect weight, perfect size, perfect amount of power.  The x60 would improve the power aspect, but since I keep most of the programs I use up all the time anyway, memory is the only thing I have to worry about, and I have plenty of that.

The T-series is generally considered the best "overall" pick.  But I cannot tell you how much I value the size of my laptop.  In law school, you will have very heavy casebooks to lug around...why add to the weight?  Plus, I have not been hampered in any way by the size of the X series, so I see no reason to go bigger.  When I'm at home, I connect to a 20-inch monitor, but I've gone days at a time with just my 12" screen with no problems.  I have large hands, and I have not had any problems with the keyboard.  In fact, I prefer it to any other keyboard I've typed on (and it's leaps and bounds above my g/f's Dell Inspiron 700m).

In short, I love my X series.  I have no complaints, and I have not heard any of my other law school friends with one complain.  I can't say the same about other computers.

alci, you're a fan of the x series?? i was looking at them last night and it seems that the T series (T60 specifically) is a better buy in regards to what you're getting & price although the size and weight of an x series is off the chain.

more decisions........

Laptops are definitely necessary, and definitely get a thinkpad (X series).  I use OneNote for all of my notes.  If you're an organization freak like myself, it's much better than Word (can organize your classes by tabs, with, for instance, side tabs for each theme within a class).

M DOT

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
thanks for your comments, does your docking station have an optical drive?

oh and do you think the warranty is necessary, ie have you had any major problems with your x41?

also, hows the battery life, do you have a 4 or 8 cell? im done i swear

I wouldn't trade my x41 for anything except an x60.  I have absolutely no complaints about it: perfect weight, perfect size, perfect amount of power.  The x60 would improve the power aspect, but since I keep most of the programs I use up all the time anyway, memory is the only thing I have to worry about, and I have plenty of that.

The T-series is generally considered the best "overall" pick.  But I cannot tell you how much I value the size of my laptop.  In law school, you will have very heavy casebooks to lug around...why add to the weight?  Plus, I have not been hampered in any way by the size of the X series, so I see no reason to go bigger.  When I'm at home, I connect to a 20-inch monitor, but I've gone days at a time with just my 12" screen with no problems.  I have large hands, and I have not had any problems with the keyboard.  In fact, I prefer it to any other keyboard I've typed on (and it's leaps and bounds above my g/f's Dell Inspiron 700m).

In short, I love my X series.  I have no complaints, and I have not heard any of my other law school friends with one complain.  I can't say the same about other computers.

alci, you're a fan of the x series?? i was looking at them last night and it seems that the T series (T60 specifically) is a better buy in regards to what you're getting & price although the size and weight of an x series is off the chain.

more decisions........

Laptops are definitely necessary, and definitely get a thinkpad (X series).  I use OneNote for all of my notes.  If you're an organization freak like myself, it's much better than Word (can organize your classes by tabs, with, for instance, side tabs for each theme within a class).

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2006, 10:48:43 PM »
I bought the standalone CD/DVD burner b/c I hadn't planned to get the docking station...but I quickly realized how convenient it would be.  In retrospect, I would have gotten one installed into the docking station.

I haven't had any problems with my computer, with normal usage.  I do use a Vyper sleeve for it, though.  I'd recommend you do the same, just as a precaution.  I think I got whatever warranty comes with the computer.

I use the 8-cell battery and rarely have to use the a/c adapter in class.  I've gotten 6 hours of usage before.  However, since it's been recharged basically every day since I've had it, I've noticed the battery life has decreased to the point that I might need to use my a/c adapter next year, depending on my schedule.  But the adapter is so small, that it's really no big deal at all.

M DOT

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »
so a docking station isnt necessary to hook a moniter up? if so then thats whats up, although the convienence of not having to plug and unplug eveyrthing may be worth the extra 200

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2006, 11:08:05 PM »
Yeah, you don't need the docking station to hook up a monitor.  My intial thinking was that taking 20 secs to plug and unplug everything wouldn't be a hassle...but leaving at 8:27 a few times for an 8:30 a.m. class changed my mind pretty quickly ;).  But I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, DVD burner, 2 printers, stereo system, webcam, and PDA, so plugging in and unplugging all of that gets old really quickly...