Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which class are you least looking forward to?

K's
 12 (11.1%)
Property
 24 (22.2%)
Torts
 12 (11.1%)
Crim
 11 (10.2%)
Con Law
 15 (13.9%)
Legal Writing
 34 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL  (Read 28428 times)

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2006, 11:55:20 AM »
So then I'm picking up OneNote (organization freak, yes).
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »
Give me a pencil and a notepad. I thrive in chaos.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

M DOT

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »
alci, you're a fan of the x series?? i was looking at them last night and it seems that the T series (T60 specifically) is a better buy in regards to what you're getting & price although the size and weight of an x series is off the chain.

more decisions........

Laptops are definitely necessary, and definitely get a thinkpad (X series).  I use OneNote for all of my notes.  If you're an organization freak like myself, it's much better than Word (can organize your classes by tabs, with, for instance, side tabs for each theme within a class).

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
At risk of sounding very naive, I have a question about where to study....In my Master's program I have found it very convenient to study at home instead of in a library. I usually reserve time in my schedule to go to the library to spend about an hour prining out whatever resources I need and then take them home to study/work.  This affords me the option of not having to find a babysitter so I can spend numerous hours studying and I can just get my work done in the wee hours of the night when libraries are closed and the kids are asleep.  But it seems as though everyone studies in the library in LS.  Is there a requirement/need to constantly access legal databases or reference materials that can't be removed? 

Any feedback on this is must appreciated.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2006, 01:30:38 PM »

Ah yes, the suburban collar-popped Keystone kegged chaos that is U.Va.  Good luck, it's a jungle out there!   :D
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2006, 01:32:45 PM »
At risk of sounding very naive, I have a question about where to study....In my Master's program I have found it very convenient to study at home instead of in a library. I usually reserve time in my schedule to go to the library to spend about an hour prining out whatever resources I need and then take them home to study/work.  This affords me the option of not having to find a babysitter so I can spend numerous hours studying and I can just get my work done in the wee hours of the night when libraries are closed and the kids are asleep.  But it seems as though everyone studies in the library in LS.  Is there a requirement/need to constantly access legal databases or reference materials that can't be removed? 

It's up to your study habits. However, I find the library more conveniant because they have most of the suppliments on reserve and I don't have to purchase them.  There is also almost always someone from your section there that you can ask questions to about the reading.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »

If your crib was/is anything like mine this wasn't even an option. 

During 1L it was all about being in the library.  Avoid the groups in the library.  9 times out of 10, 1L's go to the library, get to yackin, surf the web, study, get to yackin, surf the web, study, get to yackin....

They'll come out of a 5 or 6 hour library session having studied only about an hour.  The best bet is to find a nice quiet corner of the library somewhere and handle your business. Plus, another study "trick" I shared earlier on another thread - use the law reviews.  Your library will have copies of law reviews on the shelves.  Most schools restrict your lexis/westlaw access first semester so you can't look them up on-line so you may have to resort to the old school.  In any event, when you're reading your case book, they often refer to a law review article to give some background.  If its   on a major topic that your professor is going over then you might wanna pull the article for some deeper understanding.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »
Thanks for your feedback Young & Sands.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »

Ah yes, the suburban collar-popped Keystone kegged chaos that is U.Va.  Good luck, it's a jungle out there!   :D

LOL. No my friend the you will come to know the jungle when:

-your contracts exam is in a week and anything with the words consideration, estoppel, or remedy, mysteriously found its way out of the library and into some 1L's basement.

-Your study partner decides to delete your notes off your computer...hes not conerned though...he was sure he was smarter than you anyway...

-Want of your study partners is trying really hard to convince you mens rea is chinese cusine.

-There is a 3 year waiting list to see the school psychologist

Yes Virgina is a jungle...but I will leave with my sanity LOL.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

faith2005

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »
most people i knew with families studied at home. i don't think you'll be alone in that regard.