Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which class are you least looking forward to?

K's
 12 (11.1%)
Property
 24 (22.2%)
Torts
 12 (11.1%)
Crim
 11 (10.2%)
Con Law
 15 (13.9%)
Legal Writing
 34 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL  (Read 29387 times)

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
Re: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »
the 1L thread wasn't good enough? at our school crim law is the only 3 credit required course

Haha, it was hijacked a long time ago. Plus we have had some complaints so I wanted to norrow the focus and make it clear that we are here to help. And "we" includes you!

lusty_lawyer

• keep your mind on your studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 03:32:58 AM »
Are there any suggestions as far as time management?  I'd be interested in hearing some daily or weekly schedules that worked for you?

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 08:45:34 AM »
Are there any suggestions as far as time management?  I'd be interested in hearing some daily or weekly schedules that worked for you?

I attended class every morning from 10am until about 3pm. I then went to the gym. I suggest everyone come up with some routine that helps them to relieve stress. Between 5 and 6 I would come back to the library and study untill about 10pm. On fridays I would be done class at 12 noon and would study untill around 5 or 6 pm. On weeks we had memos due, I would use all day saturday and sunday to knock them out.

My school had more demanding hours than say U of Maryland on the other hand. They were ussually done class no later than 1pm but had that one day a week with 4 classes. That sucks as far as reading is concerned.  Also Howard takes 21 credits in the spring. With that you can kill time management. You just manage to study 24/7.

AshyLarry

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let me hold some lotion!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 10:46:17 AM »
Im going to be going to school at night and work as a para legal during the day. Is it going to be possible to have a social life because Im not seeing it between school, work, and study time.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 10:48:15 AM »
Im going to be going to school at night and work as a para legal during the day. Is it going to be possible to have a social life because Im not seeing it between school, work, and study time.

No will not have a social life. You're only outlet is to join BLSA and go to all the conferences. Maybe an SBA happy hour or two also. Other than that, kiss your social life goodbye!

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 11:20:51 AM »
What are the best study aids?
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 11:23:22 AM »

Larry -- I have a friend who is in evening school (I will also be in evening school) and she was relatively active in her Sorority, and still went out with us on occasion her first year.  

Based on the schedule I've created for myself for the fall, I plan to have three hours in the evening on Friday and Saturday for social activities (and I've included monthly Sorority committments as well as work overtime needs).  While you might not be able to keep it, I would suggest trying to make a schedule based upon your class and work times (adding in time to study and socialize) and then adjusting it as you see fit once the fall gets here (I plan to take off of work for a week around finals  to make sure I have my outlines and stuff together)

I suspect that our social lives will be nothing like they were before for this next year, but I see no reason to completely cut out all of the things we enjoyed before law school.  

*Something else I would suggest is to think about your career goals.  If you're going to law school to get a job at a major firm and make loads of money, then you are very clearly going to have to spend a lot more time trying to get the best grades and getting onto important co-curricular activities, than a person who is simply getting a law degree because they think it would help them better understand a job they already have.*

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »

*Something else I would suggest is to think about your career goals.  If you're going to law school to get a job at a major firm and make loads of money, then you are very clearly going to have to spend a lot more time trying to get the best grades and getting onto important co-curricular activities, than a person who is simply getting a law degree because they think it would help them better understand a job they already have.*

Very good point.  The amount of time you spend at Law School networking events will depend on your career goals.  However, I would attend as much as possible because you never know where it may lead.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 11:33:23 AM »
What are the best study aids?

If you can find an Emmanuels that is keyed to your casebook, that works well.  Other than that I learned the most by searching through nutshells and hornbooks. However, make sure you know what your Prof is looking for before you start relying on study aids.

Also, take all of your prof's old exams

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
  • The "sole" reason I got myself into this crap!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 11:59:28 AM »
Are the old exams available in the library?