Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which class are you least looking forward to?

K's
 12 (11.1%)
Property
 24 (22.2%)
Torts
 12 (11.1%)
Crim
 11 (10.2%)
Con Law
 15 (13.9%)
Legal Writing
 34 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL  (Read 28809 times)

cyberrev

Re: FOR EVERYBODY STARTING LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2006, 11:12:45 AM »
Law school is all about mind games...you will notice that when you get there. :P

i dont have enough mind left to play games with it

i dont intimidate easily, anyways, and its been a while since i really, really cared what anyone other than my wife and dog thought

I heard that.

The #1 mind game is after or before an exam. DO NOT, under any circumstances, talk to other 1L's before or after your exam.  Show up, walk straight into your test room, knock out your exam, and be up.  Exam day during 1L people's true colors come out. They snap.  They realize they're not ready. They panic.  They start asking questions like "so what is proximate cause again?" (true story)  You don't wanna have any of that negative energy on you when you walk into that exam room.  And afterwards, 1L's love to ask you "so did you get the issue in that 2nd question?" and stuff like that.  Again, avoid this negative energy. What's done is done.

Other mind games 1L's play: You'll be sitting in the library minding your own business and another 1L will come along and see how far you've got in the reading. Then when you answer, no matter how far you've gotten, they'll say they finished that yesterday or something like that, just to mess with you.

Other mind games 1L's play: As a condiction precedent on receiving a contracts outline, I once had another classmate make me swear not to share it with anybody else because "there are only so many of us who can get A's so this outline cannot be circulated."   ??? R U Serious...?

stuff like that.

i intend to follow the advice i've heard on exams and prep -- i don't discuss either.  after a few fishing expeditions, i suspect they will move on to more fruitful waters.  after a few scowls at being interrupted i also suspect that people will learn that i want to be left alone while studying.

i'll share my outline with anyone who asks.  once.  i will become reluctant if it appears that moochers are trying to survive on the fruits of my labor.  it depends on the situation.

faith2005

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »
hmm, i think sands list is good, so is cn's. but i think my biggest problem last year definitely related to the idea that 1) there is no answer and 2) everything you learn in teh cases is to be applied. So, its like you read a case and from the case, you get the questions to ask about that doctrine. con. law is one of the best examples of this. so in that sense, writing an exam is more like an equation than a poli. sci endeavor. but at the same time, there is no right answer. I really thought there was first semester. or at least something that i should come out with, but there's not. And although some people think briefing is for the birds, i didn't do it first semester and i felt like i was missing something when it got to exam time, so i started briefing second semester and took reading notes. when it came time to compile my outline, i felt 1000 times more prepared so to each his own...
things to do:
1) read for class/start outlining early/
2) read additional materials--like law review articles and stuff
3) do practice exams
3.5) going to class is cool--but the class that i missed the most first semester i got my best grade in, so go figure.

things not to do:
1) avoid relationship drama--i was so sad about that kind of stuff first semester and it really dragged me down. and it wasn't even a real break-up from a serious relationship.
2) don't be so nice that your forget every person who is in your class is your competition.
3) don't eat krispy kremes and stop working out, like deltatau said you'll get fat and feel unhealthy and won't be as efficient. its so easy to just eat fast food--but cook some spaghetti and eat it all week, you'll save money and won't gain 30 lbs.

faith2005

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2006, 11:22:06 AM »
getting to maybe really helped me too.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:46 AM »

This just came from Amazon yesterday. It was actually shrink wrapped. That was the first bad sign. Then I flipped thru it. That mess is like a book book. I'm going to try to read it now and then read it again during the semester when I have a better sense of whats going on.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

crazy8

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2006, 11:27:29 AM »

This just came from Amazon yesterday. It was actually shrink wrapped. That was the first bad sign. Then I flipped thru it. That mess is like a book book. I'm going to try to read it now and then read it again during the semester when I have a better sense of whats going on.

Hmmm I was holding off on getting it, but maybe I'll buy it now so I can start reading it.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2006, 11:29:21 AM »

Hmmm I was holding off on getting it, but maybe I'll buy it now so I can start reading it.

Trust me, read it now while you are wet behind the ears. And then read it again mid-semmester so you can put everything together.

crazy8

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2006, 11:37:11 AM »

Trust me, read it now while you are wet behind the ears. And then read it again mid-semmester so you can put everything together.

Aight, I'm going to take a trip to B&N and get it now :-\

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »

Many people have a hard time finding it at B&N. If you don't see it there I would check a Law School bookstore and If that fails Amazon.com.

faith2005

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2006, 11:41:29 AM »
what did you think it was? lol! is planet law school not a book book. thats the other one i've seen mentioned alot but i've never read it. i thought law school confidential was less demanding, but it was also less helpful--the calendar of events format to law school conf. was helpful to me. 1L makes you feel like a lemming. you go from place-to-place in packs and everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. its part of what makes it feel like a hazing experience.

LEX--did you get getting to maybe yet? if not, i need to pass it on to you...

crazy8

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2006, 11:44:32 AM »

Many people have a hard time finding it at B&N. If you don't see it there I would check a Law School bookstore and If that fails Amazon.com.

thanks, I'll give them a call before I go trecking in the heat.  I have a gift card for them which is why they're my first option.