Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Interview Today, and Advice??  (Read 5763 times)

thechoson

Re: Job Interview Today, and Advice??
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »
as for not getting the job... maybe they had already filled their quota. lol

as for the spreadsheet... only in business would knowing how to use excel be a big deal. i wouldn't show them the law school decision spreadsheets, though. they probably won't hire you if they know you're going to law school in a year's time. in fact, that may have been why u didnt get the first job. did u tell them you want to go to law school?

@#!*. I didn't get this job. And I liked it too.  I have another interview today, with a CPA firm as a gopher.  That first job I really liked, I was PERFECT in the interview. I answered all their questions like a f-ing champ, I made them laugh with good timed humor, and they give me the @#!* off.  I really can't figure out what some people want, WTF.

Anyways, I have another interview today, and advice?  Also, I was wondering, being able to use excel is a job qualification.  Would it be too over the top to show them some spreadsheets I created (there are some over the top ones I have when I was ranking all the law schools myself)?

Thanks!

ahh... good point.  Yea, I told the first guys I want to go to law school eventually.  I don't think it had anything to do with it, I mean I said sometime in the future, not 1 year later.

thechoson

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 02:05:13 PM »
@#!*. I didn't get this job. And I liked it too.  I have another interview today, with a CPA firm as a gopher.  That first job I really liked, I was PERFECT in the interview. I answered all their questions like a f-ing champ, I made them laugh with good timed humor, and they give me the @#!* off.  I really can't figure out what some people want, WTF.

Anyways, I have another interview today, and advice?  Also, I was wondering, being able to use excel is a job qualification.  Would it be too over the top to show them some spreadsheets I created (there are some over the top ones I have when I was ranking all the law schools myself)?

Thanks!

r u serious about the excel thingie?  8)

yea, why?  you think its a bad idea?

ttiwed

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 02:13:07 PM »
since you're getting a job, are you deferring law school till 2005?

thechoson

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 02:19:05 PM »
since you're getting a job, are you deferring law school till 2005?

Sure, IF I can get a f-ing job

thechoson

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 02:19:25 PM »
Or I might not go at all.  Still thinking about that

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 03:06:11 PM »

Thanks!

Maybe you should have worn a suit.

Actually, I think the tie and shirt was a good look.  Their office culture was VERY LAX, as in Jeans and shirt.

You also wore pants right?  Because without pants a tie and shirt just don't have quite the same professional appearance.

thechoson

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 03:29:23 PM »

Thanks!

Maybe you should have worn a suit.

Actually, I think the tie and shirt was a good look.  Their office culture was VERY LAX, as in Jeans and shirt.

You also wore pants right?  Because without pants a tie and shirt just don't have quite the same professional appearance.

@#!*! Maybe that's what did it for me.  I wore warm ups, and ripped them off as they introduced me in the interview office.  I got too caught up in the moment, I guess.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 04:10:29 PM »
Choson I work in HR and I've done a lot of interviewing over the years.  Here are some tips.

1) Always wear a suit.  Even if they're a casual place you'll look at more professional in a nice suit.  Believe me it makes a difference.

2) Always bring a copy of your resume printed on good paper.

3) If you don't have an answer to a question just say so.

4) Be positive and try to seem like you're interviewing for the best job ever even if it stinks.

Now for what not to do.  All of these have happened to me.

Don't bring a can of soda/cup of coffee to the interview and then set it on the interviewers desk.

Don't chew gum.

Don't say "want to see my tongue stud."

Don't look at a picture of the interviewer's wife and remark about how hot she is.

Don't talk about how you beat a felony wrap for passing bad checks.

Don't pop your knuckles.

Don't talk about how you just want to work at ______ so you can get some benefits and have your wisdom teeth removed.

And finally:

Don't proposition the interviewer and start taking off your clothes.

Good luck in your job search.

Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 04:40:46 PM »
Choson I work in HR and I've done a lot of interviewing over the years.  Here are some tips.

1) Always wear a suit.  Even if they're a casual place you'll look at more professional in a nice suit.  Believe me it makes a difference.

4) Be positive and try to seem like you're interviewing for the best job ever even if it stinks.

Don't bring a can of soda/cup of coffee to the interview and then set it on the interviewers desk.

Don't chew gum.

Don't look at a picture of the interviewer's wife and remark about how hot she is.

Don't pop your knuckles.

Don't talk about how you just want to work at ______ so you can get some benefits and have your wisdom teeth removed.

And finally:

Wow, we were all wrong...if you want an exciting career, forget law, HR is where it's at.

thechoson

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 05:50:24 PM »

Don't chew gum.

Don't pop your knuckles.

And finally:

Thank you buddah, gread advice!