Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lakers vs Pistons  (Read 3022 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Lakers vs Pistons
« on: June 07, 2004, 01:41:17 PM »
your predictions?

before last nights game, my prediction was Pistions in 7.

i still hold onto that dream.

lakers suck.

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

Re: Lakers vs Pistons
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 01:54:58 PM »
if the pistons can pound the lakers they'll win unless the lakers can rust the pistons

jgomez

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 02:00:45 PM »
i predicted lakers in 5, but i didn't think a loss would be in LA.  but after the 1st game, i may be thinking just lakers in anything, i don't care as long as they win. 

man, if the lakers don't win, they'll be the laughing stock of the west.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 02:03:13 PM »
Pistons will win every single game where they keep the Lakers under 80. And with a healthy Ben Wallace, Elden Campbell, Rasheed Wallace, and Corliss Williamson, they can afford to hack-a-Shaq the whole game.

My guess is ... Pistons in 6

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 02:04:16 PM »
i predicted lakers in 5, but i didn't think a loss would be in LA.  but after the 1st game, i may be thinking just lakers in anything, i don't care as long as they win. 

man, if the lakers don't win, they'll be the laughing stock of the west.

they will be the laughing stock of the entire nba if they lose.  it really did surprise me that they would lose by such a large margin. at the end, they just gave up.  theyre way too overconfident...and i think that will be their achilles heel. 

i love this game. 

lets go pistons!

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »
Then again... they looked like crap in the first few games against the Spurs, too.. so who knows what will happen.

Karl Malone and Gary Payton combined for *&^% that game, though, so once they get going, it's gonna be tough for Detroit.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 02:10:57 PM »
What we saw last night was something truly exceptional.  The Pistons made the Lakers play at their pace.  If scoring continues to be in the 70s and 80s, it definitely plays in the Pistons' favor.

What the Pistons are doing defensively is something nobody has done during the Lakers' reign, out of both stupidity and lack of personnel able to execute.  That is pressuring the ball, allow Shaq and Kobe to get their points (but make them operate with the shot clock rolling down) and shut down all others.  This is what the Chicago Bulls used to do to shut down Shaq's Orlando Magic in the mid 90s.  Between Jordan, Pippen, Harper, and Rodman, they could pressure the ball, help out on Shaq a bit, but rotate out and shut down the other players.  Detroit, with Wallace and Wallace, Prince, Hamilton, have the kind of athleticism and skill to execute this kind of defense.

Once again, I will reiterate.  What should be disturbing if you are a Lakers fan is not that the Lakers lost (this can happen). It's that the Pistons DICTATED pace.  This is more important than anything, and something that is irking Phil Jackson.  Now I knew going in that Chauncey Billups would be able to murder the Lakers.  Shaq just cannot play pick and roll defense.  What is incredibly devestating though is that Detroit also has big men that can shoot outside (Okur, R. Wallace) and can also rotate quickly inside to get the garbage points (B. Wallace).

Last night was a bit of an aberration, however.  The Lakers had 6 days off. Their old bodies got stiff (witness the lack of production from Payton and Malone).  Also, after running and gunning with the Timberwolves, this Detroit pace was very hard to adjust to as well.

Phil Jackson is very good at making adjustments.  The beauty of the triangle offense is that it discourages defenses from zeroing in on one single player, or double teaming, because it is about constant screening, rotating, and movement away from the ball.  The Lakers will eventually make their open shots, because they will get some.  However, it's not going to be easy. The Pistons have impressive speed and range, they challenge EVERY shot, even if it's open.

However, the Pistons do have to win ONE MORE game in Los Angeles. Why?  No home team has won all 3 middle home games since the NBA finals went to the 2-3-2 format.  Which means the Pistons in all likelihood will lose one of those 3 games at home.  I don't see the Lakers losing 2 straight at home, so the series will go to Detroit tied up at 1-1.  The series will probably come back to Los Angeles with Detroit up 3-2, where the Lakers will proceed to win the next 2 and win the series in 7.

Dsong, if you think the Lakers will allow the Pistons to win a game 7 on their home floor, you are nuts.  Kobe and Shaq will not allow that to happen, unfortunately.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 02:19:06 PM »

Dsong, if you think the Lakers will allow the Pistons to win a game 7 on their home floor, you are nuts.  Kobe and Shaq will not allow that to happen, unfortunately.

you may be right...but if it does get to a game 7, the pistons will not sacrifice ANYTHING.  they have nothing to lose.  they will die trying...

a lot of people would have said the same thing about game 1...and look what happened.  go figure...

i still say pistons in 7 (but im dreaming of a sweep!!!)

thechoson

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 02:19:13 PM »
AHH.. I forgot to add one KEY point that is in the Pistons' favor. Kobe was wearing down towards the end of this game. 

Back in the Bulls' era, their toughest series was in 1998, when the Pacers took them to 7 games in the Eastern Conference Finals.  Why?  Because Reggie Miller was taking Michael Jordan through a constant array of screens, picks, etc. etc.  (The Bulls took Harper off of Miller cause Miller was killing him).  Jordan got tired of this, and it showed in his late game execution.  Game 4, Jordan had a chance to win the game at the buzzer, but did not have his legs under him, and the shot rimmed out.  This was the game Reggie pushed off on Jordan and nailed a 3 pointer from the elbow, and started twirling around like an idiot.  Though the Bulls won in 7, Jordan was WORN OUT and the Bulls barely won.

Guess what, same thing's happening to Kobe.  Kobe came into this season in horrible shape, and it's been an awfully long season for him.  Rip Hamilton is running him through screen after screen, all over the court. This will take its toll on Kobe, and might limit his effectiveness late in games.  So yes, even if Rip has a horrible game (like last night), he still can be the x factor for the Pistons, by wearing Kobe down on defense.

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 02:20:14 PM »

you may be right...but if it does get to a game 7, the pistons will not sacrifice ANYTHING.  they have nothing to lose.  they will die trying...

a lot of people would have said the same thing about game 1...and look what happened.  go figure...

i still say pistons in 7 (but im dreaming of a sweep!!!)

Game one on the road is the easiest to steal.  Game 7 is not.  The Lakers will be all business in Game 7, and they have experience.