Just found this quote online and love it

hylas99

• The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
Re: "There are 8 top 5 schools and 15 top 10 schools"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:00:41 PM »
Well some schools tie for a given slot in the rankings, right?

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:48:58 AM »
Schools don't tie to that extent that far up in the rankings.  The T14 is pretty spaced out actually, although there are one or two ties.  I think the quote refers to people arguing that say UCLA or Texas should be top 10 schools.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 09:16:39 AM »
i think that quote is attributable to former dean (now president) sexton of nyu who said that there are 8 schools that can legitimately claim to be the top 5 law schools in the country, and 15 that can legitimately claim to be members of the top 10 law schools.  he also said that there are 3 schools that can legitimately claim to be the best. 

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 09:22:10 AM »
i think that quote is attributable to former dean (now president) sexton of nyu who said that there are 8 schools that can legitimately claim to be the top 5 law schools in the country, and 15 that can legitimately claim to be members of the top 10 law schools.  he also said that there are 3 schools that can legitimately claim to be the best. 

I think this is kind of an overblown statement.  There are 6 schools that can claim to be top 5 -- HYS, Columbia, Chicago, and NYU.  I don't know anyone that seriously thinks that any of the other schools are top 5 (except a few old people who graduated from Michigan). 

Also, Stanford cannot claim to be the best law school.  Most everyone acknoweldges that Yale is the best...and some people make the case for Harvard...but in reality, there are only two schools that can claim to be no. 1.  I think that line about three schools claiming to be no. 1 was made up by the Stanford dean.  You gotta give her credit, it's an inventive way of exaggerating how good they are.  But it's not intellectually honest.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 01:04:04 PM »
He probably thought the 3 best were harvard, yale, and nyu (being prez of nyu).

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »
Just found this quote online and love it
Reminds me of other sayings:
"Half of the students in the class think they are in the top 10%"
"There are many times more students who reveal they are 'straight A' students than there are students who are 'straight A' students. (Many variations of this one.)

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:18:42 PM »
Or how guys claim to have tons more sexual partners than girls.

hylas99

• The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:29:03 PM »
Right.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:46:06 PM »
Also, Stanford cannot claim to be the best law school.  Most everyone acknoweldges that Yale is the best...and some people make the case for Harvard...but in reality, there are only two schools that can claim to be no. 1.  I think that line about three schools claiming to be no. 1 was made up by the Stanford dean.  You gotta give her credit, it's an inventive way of exaggerating how good they are.  But it's not intellectually honest.

DISCLAIMER: SLS troll.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here's a good description of why, arguably, Stanford can try to lay claim to that spot: http://www.top-law-schools.com/stanford-law-school.html

Essentially, Yale is good if you want to be an academic or non-practicing lawyer. Not to say that if you want to be the latter you can't; just saying it might not be the best school for that. Many complaints of too much theory. Harvard is probably the other extreme. Larger, more focused on private practice, etc.

Stanford is a nice compromise. You still get the small size of Yale, its proximity to Silicon valley ensures that they keep their head below the clouds, but we can hold our own in clerkships and (arguably) academia. Good place to go if you're simply not sure of what you want to do, and want to keep your options open.