Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US News Ranking's !!! Help please...  (Read 869 times)

JDlawyer

• View Profile
US News Ranking's !!! Help please...
« on: June 02, 2005, 05:14:58 PM »
I am sure someone out there has a subscription to the US news online rankings.  If you do, could you cut and paste the top 10 intellectual property law programs?  With out a sub. you can only see the top three.  Thank you someone...

Assuming someone posts the list, what do you guys think?  It worth it to go to a lower overall ranked school in order to go to a school ranked higher in the specific field you are interested in?

Thanks!

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US News Ranking's !!! Help please...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 05:37:44 PM »
There's a lot of debate on this topic, and no one here really knows what's best.
Having said that, the consensus seems to be to go to the best (which may or may not be the highest ranked) school you get into, don't get caught up in the specialty program rankings.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

ace888

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »
1.  University of California–Berkeley 
2.  Stanford University (CA)
3.  George Washington University (DC)
4.  University of Houston 
5.  Cardozo-Yeshiva University (NY)
6.  Franklin Pierce Law Center (NH)
7.  Columbia University (NY)
8.  Duke University (NC)
   New York University 
10.  Boston University 
11.  DePaul University (IL)
   Harvard University (MA)
13.  Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago-Kent) 
14.  Georgetown University (DC)
15.  John Marshall Law School (IL)
   Santa Clara University (CA)
17.  University of Minnesota–Twin Cities 
18.  University of Texas–Austin 
19.  Michigan State University 
   Washington University in St. Louis 
21.  University of California–Los Angeles 
22.  Fordham University (NY)
   University of Pennsylvania 
24.  University of Washington 
25.  George Mason University (VA)
26.  Boston College 
27.  Case Western Reserve University (OH)
   University of Michigan–Ann Arbor 

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 05:45:48 AM »
Just to note:  Employers will focus far more on your schools overall reputation than on any speciality ranking. 

So, the standard advice applies:  go to a "top" school if you can, and if not, attend the school with the best possible reputation in your desired region. 

Specialty rankings are probably most helpful for choosing between schools that are generally roughly comparable, and/or when you have no real geographic preference.  Obviously, if everything else is equal, it makes sense to favor the school with the better courses and faculty in your desired area of interest.

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 03:11:10 AM »
So, the standard advice applies:  go to a "top" school if you can, and if not, attend the school with the best possible reputation in your desired region. 

This is reasonable, but the problem that this issue always seems to condense down to is the definition of "top" law school.  Top 15, Top 5, Top 50, Top 100?

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 03:40:52 AM »

This is reasonable, but the problem that this issue always seems to condense down to is the definition of "top" law school.  Top 15, Top 5, Top 50, Top 100?

I think Law School Confidential dealt with this issue, at least the issue of rankings, best. With this as a guide. I'd go local/regional, unless you are talking Georgetown or better.

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 10:07:21 PM »

I think Law School Confidential dealt with this issue, at least the issue of rankings, best. With this as a guide. I'd go local/regional, unless you are talking Georgetown or better.

Hmmm ... you, I mean LSC, could be right, but would you pick Loyola over Hastings or Davis to work in LA?  Or other tough decisions like Brooklyn Law School over Emory to work in NYC?  Or Georgetown over UCLA to work in San Diego?  I'm not sure it is so simple as "Top 14 or else".

It's decisions like that which haunt many of us.

BAFF213

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 12:47:04 AM »
Hmmm ... you, I mean LSC, could be right, but would you pick Loyola over Hastings or Davis to work in LA?  Or other tough decisions like Brooklyn Law School over Emory to work in NYC?  Or Georgetown over UCLA to work in San Diego?  I'm not sure it is so simple as "Top 14 or else".

It's decisions like that which haunt many of us.

I would say  tough decision between Loyola vs. Hastings vs. Davis to work in LA. However, if one were in this "predicament," then I wouldn't be surprised to see Loyola offering money, which would make Loyola the winner.

The other two are easier: I would say Brooklyn over Emory to work in NYC, and UCLA over Georgetown to work in San Diego.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 01:20:11 AM »

At the risk of sounding cliche, I would put "top" as top 14 or Top 15.  These schools are all extremely national, and will tend to trump other (even strong regional) schools around the country. 

After that, I would start focusing on the school with the best reputation in your desired region.  UCLA/USC for West Coast, Vandy for east Coast, on down the line.  Regional reputation starts mattering much more after the top 15, to the point where you might very well choose Fordham (#30's) over USC (#17?) for NYC.