Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clueless about loans--help  (Read 1231 times)

A226

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Clueless about loans--help
« on: June 02, 2005, 04:21:33 PM »
I received my award letter and sent that back to the school for the federal loans. Do I apply for the private loans now? I haven't received a student budget of any kind, not sure if that matters. Anything you can tell me in regards to what I should do next would be good.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clueless about loans--help
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 04:33:16 PM »
How can they give you a financial aid award without giving you a budget? That just sounds odd. Try to look it up, or call the financial aid office.

(1) Try not to get your staffords through the school. They'll charge you an origination fee, and that's $550 less you'll be getting. Look at accessgroup or northstar.

(2) Start looking into private loans now.

A226

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 07:29:34 PM »
I saw the student budget on the website but it's for the past year. I assume they don't change too much?

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 02:08:35 PM »
tag
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »
(1) Try not to get your staffords through the school. They'll charge you an origination fee, and that's $550 less you'll be getting. Look at accessgroup or northstar.

1) School charge you %550.00 for an origination fee?  If you get it from accessgroup or northstar....how much do they charge?  Is the Staffords the $18,500.00?

2) Where are the best places to get the lowest private loans?

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 02:35:13 PM »
I saw the student budget on the website but it's for the past year. I assume they don't change too much?

Are you sure the private loan amount is not on the award letter?  Its my experience and understanding that the award letter tells you of your govt and private loan eligilbity.  With student loans you are only allowed to borrow up to the amount they approve for your living expenses.  In other words the private loan amount is your budget.
163, 2.9
Attending: USD

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »

1) School charge you %550.00 for an origination fee?  If you get it from accessgroup or northstar....how much do they charge?  Is the Staffords the $18,500.00?

2) Where are the best places to get the lowest private loans?

1.) accessgroup.org, http://www.northstar.org. Neither have any origination fees, but the former has something called a "guarantor fee." And yes.

2.) Look around on this board. It's going to depend on your credit score and the rate the company gives to your school's students.