Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Special Summer Program?  (Read 7694 times)

Kurosaki Ichigo

• View Profile
Special Summer Program?
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:39:53 PM »
Has anyone here been "admitted" to a school for a special summer program that once/if you pass it, you gain admission to the school? If so, how was it? Did you pass it? Is it a scam (like incredibly hard, impossible to pass)? What did it entail?

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Special Summer Program?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 03:08:15 PM »
you really don't need to start the same thread more than once.

Kurosaki Ichigo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 03:12:17 PM »
you really don't need to start the same thread more than once.

Many people stay in one area and don't check the others, so, yes, I needed to start the same thread more than once. Thank you.

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 07:30:42 PM »
while this might be true, if everyone followed your logic, this board would be an absolute mess. by posting your thread only once and in the appropriate section, you help to keep lsd organized and easier to navigate for the rest of us.

Many people stay in one area and don't check the others, so, yes, I needed to start the same thread more than once. Thank you.

Kurosaki Ichigo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 01:49:50 AM »
while this might be true, if everyone followed your logic, this board would be an absolute mess. by posting your thread only once and in the appropriate section, you help to keep lsd organized and easier to navigate for the rest of us.

If you read my question you would see that there's no appropriate section for it, as it isn't an acceptance, or a waitlist, or a denial. Thank you.

leoladybug

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 09:47:35 AM »
I was offered a conditional acceptance to Albany and Loyola New Orleans but chose not to do either one of them.  I really liked the Loyola program.  It is three weeks in June taking courses on campus.  It is only $75 and included meals.  The only thing I would have paid for is housing for the three weeks.  The Albany course is only conducted online and was quite expensive.  I was offerd a small stipend but it would still cost more than 1K.

Loyola also provided the statistics of the number of students who enrolled in the program over the passed few years as well as the number who successfully completed.  I am sure if you contact the admissions office, they can provide you with the statistics.

I do not think it's a "scam."  I think it is for students with great academic credentials but a low LSAT.  It sucks that you have to prove yourself in the summer before you can get accepted, but I also think it's a good way to see if you really want to practice law.  If the program is inexpensive, convenient and you REALLY want to go to that school...go for it! 

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 03:25:14 PM »
I'm starting a summer program at St John's.  They haven't really said what the success rate is, but I have to take a 6 week course with some workshops on the side, and then if I get a certain grade I'm in for the fall.  The class is supposed to be kind of small.  The only cost is for the books and of course housing.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »
I just finished Widener's TAP, and am waiting to hear if I did well enough or not. I really enjoyed it actually, but my only fault with these kinds of programs is basically they are designed for people who have an innate knack for LS. Instead of getting 13 weeks to get the hang of it, you have 5, and there is virtually no guidance, so you kind of have to "get it" right away, or you are screwed. I guess that is why statistically people who complete the program and go on to the school end up in the top half of their class or better.

I feel fairly good about my finals, but because they are essay and there is SO MUCH info, I can't be sure if I covered enough ground to get accepted. But I did definitely learn from the program that LS is where I belong, so if I don't (sigh) do well enough, I will retake the almighty LSAT and reapply elsewhere. If nothing else, these programs are good for that reason; I know several people in TAP who decided that they didn't want to go to LS after completing this program.

If a program like this is your only option, or your only other option is Cooley, definitely do it. I really enjoyed it, and am glad I did it no matter what happens.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 04:00:19 PM »
Kitty,

I am glad you are confident about your finals. Keep us updated!

I finished my AAMPLE finals for Albany 2 weeks ago, they said I should know the week of the 18th. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I feel confident, but as you said it is essay based, i knew the material, hopefully I wrote enough to gain admission. If not, it looks like I will be in Vermont.

I also enjoyed the program. Mine was 8 weeks, and two second level law classes. It is more or less sink or swim. But, if someone is unsure of law school and have an opportunity to take one of these conditional programs, I say do it. It is a great way to test the waters and see if you really like what the next 3 or 4 years of your life will be like. Definitely a good preperation whether you gain admission or not.

Good luck!

~K
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 04:18:27 PM »
What schools have these conditional programs? Do you need to apply there and get asked to do it? Also, where do you find the info about which schools offer it? Any other schools, maybe list so far that people know of?
Thanks!