Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 12,500 US Troops Pulling Out of South Korea  (Read 12581 times)

jgruber

Re: 12,500 US Troops Pulling Out of South Korea
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 01:22:10 PM »
Yes, you have to account for the Bush-as-a-loose-cannon factor.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 02:13:04 PM »
I read recently that Kim Jong-Il has stated he supports Kerry for president.  Now there's no way that that statement could BENEFIT Kerry that I can see...but anyways, I just thought that was interesting.

I am considering teaching English in South Korea for a year, probably in the Seoul area, so this stuff has come to interest me a lot as well.

thechoson

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »
I read recently that Kim Jong-Il has stated he supports Kerry for president.  Now there's no way that that statement could BENEFIT Kerry that I can see...but anyways, I just thought that was interesting.

I am considering teaching English in South Korea for a year, probably in the Seoul area, so this stuff has come to interest me a lot as well.

My advice- Don't

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 03:12:41 PM »

My advice- Don't

Why, because of the NK thing? Or some other reason? The general opinion of people I've talked to and on discussion boards for Americans living in Korea seems to be that the chances of invasion/war are very remote.

thechoson

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 03:30:37 PM »
Invasion is remote. But still possible.  So why risk it.  But then again, your chances of being a victim of a terrorist attack here in the US are probably higher than being the victim of NK artillery fire over there.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 03:38:56 PM »
Uh not to mention that Jong-Il teaches schoolchildren (or so I hear) that we cannot have world peace until every American is dead.  That would seem to indicate that his real target would be America, not South Korea. Although South Korea is obviously more convenient to invade.  But apparently he also teaches kids that Bush is worse than Hitler.

I found this article on NK really interesting.  And scary.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/26/60minutes/main602415.shtml

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »
from what i read in the nytimes today, it seems korean politicians dont really think that the pullout of the troops will happen. 

and i agree, even if they do pull out, the chances of invasion are slim to none.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

thechoson

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 03:45:01 PM »
Uh not to mention that Jong-Il teaches schoolchildren (or so I hear) that we cannot have world peace until every American is dead.  That would seem to indicate that his real target would be America, not South Korea. Although South Korea is obviously more convenient to invade.  But apparently he also teaches kids that Bush is worse than Hitler.

I found this article on NK really interesting.  And scary.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/26/60minutes/main602415.shtml

Yes, but Jong Il also sees SK as a puppet regime of the USA, so just as bad as the USA