Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proposal May End Fixed-Rate Student Loans  (Read 1773 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

Re: Proposal May End Fixed-Rate Student Loans
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 11:33:07 AM »
And who is this supposed to help?

I have a hard time with this sort of thing when politicians yack about how important education is.

We cut funding to education, raise tuition and expect students to borrow astronomical amounts.

If education is important, then let's fund it.  Dammit.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 11:35:12 AM »

I have a hard time with this sort of thing when politicians yack about how important education is.

We cut funding to education, raise tuition and expect students to borrow astronomical amounts.

exactly what i was thinking.  and interest rates are bound to go up...

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 11:37:23 AM »
Exactly. This is probably just another example of Bush administration pork-barrel politics. I'll bet some campaign contributors of his are in the financial sector, and more particularly, in the educational loan business. Creditors have a lot to lose by giving fixed interest rate loans at today's interest rates. There's already a common agreement that the Fed is going to increase rates over the next year, and rates will probably continue to rise. This is just creditors hedging their interests at the expense of the public.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 11:45:09 AM »
FREE LAW SCHOOLS!  Students of American unite; you have nothing to lose but your tution.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 11:53:35 AM »
I have a friend that has a cousin that lives in in Georgia and according to him, if you live in Georgia...your college is paid for.  That's an idea I think that every college could adopt...if they wanted to.  But, the financial institutions that have this country by the balls would lose billions in lost loans...so I don't see free college ever happening.  :(
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

Ginatio

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »
come the revolution! vive la resistance!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 11:58:49 AM »
I have a friend that has a cousin that lives in in Georgia and according to him, if you live in Georgia...your college is paid for.  That's an idea I think that every college could adopt...if they wanted to.  But, the financial institutions that have this country by the balls would lose billions in lost loans...so I don't see free college ever happening.  :(

are you talking about in-state tuition to state schools?  or even private schools there like scad or emory?

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 12:02:17 PM »
I don't think that is quite true.  It sounds like rhetoric.  For example what does paid for mean?  Some schools do not charge tuition for in-state students, but there are hefty fees that come very close to the amount you'd expect for tuition.

And then there's the Tennessee B.S.  They started a lottery to provide 3,000.00 scholarships to in-state students, but then they've raised the tuition every year

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
I don't think that is quite true.  It sounds like rhetoric.  For example what does paid for mean?  Some schools do not charge tuition for in-state students, but there are hefty fees that come very close to the amount you'd expect for tuition.

And then there's the Tennessee B.S.  They started a lottery to provide 3,000.00 scholarships to in-state students, but then they've raised the tuition every year

According to him, his tuition was paid for.  He could go to school full time and only pay fees.  The hourly rate was paid for if you were a Georgia resident for at least 1 year or something like that.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.