Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which books are you currently reading? (Doesnt have to be law school/law related  (Read 8467 times)

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Bringing Down the House is a great book, especially if you have any interest in gambling.  I highly recommend it.  I've been readying light, fluffy books this summer.  I just finished Bergdorf Blondes, and before that I read the Shopaholic series.  If any of you girls are looking for a quick, entertaining, thoughtless read, I recommend them all.

I love the Shopaholic books!  Just finished the latest one with her sister...  I am all about the estrogen-fest that is British chick lit!
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

bobfett33

I just saw that Voltaire quote, and I felt the need to chime in with my own Voltaire:

"It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge."

BAFF213

I just saw that Voltaire quote, and I felt the need to chime in with my own Voltaire:

"It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge."

interesting quote. 

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
I did read The Devil Wears Prada, really good story, I loved all the fashion and high society life in it, but the ending aggrivated me.  The story was written much better than that last chapter.  I felt The Nannie Diaries was much better.  But if you have a few hours to spare, Devil is not a bad way to do it.  Fun book.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
i'm reading "you shall know my velocity" (dave eggers)
and "the spirit catches you and you fall down" (fadiman)
and then back to "middlesex" (eugenides) from which i took a little break
and "the jane austen book club"

How do you like You Shall Know Our Velocity!? I was a little underwhelmed, perhaps I was expecting too much after AHWOSG.

At the moment I am reading The Pentagon's New Map by Thomas P.M. Barnett, a Harvard PhD who is a prof. at the Naval War College. It's a fascinating book, he basically came up with an entire foreign security policy that he thinks will correct our world. He is a goddamn genius. After that, I have a few in line to be read:

The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon
V., Thomas Pynchon
Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace (I stopped reading this the first time, thought it was kind of boring, but I'm going to try again)
Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, Ayn Rand

For the record, my favorite book for the moment is House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Just bought Montauk's Book.  Based on the size of it, I don't think I'll get to it too soon.
Actually it isn't that bad.  Question for all you avid readers if I may, ...Does the thickness of the book come into play as to whether or not you will buy it?  Or if you know it's going to be good, or heard it was good, the amount of pages is irrevelant?  I really wanted to buy Slick Willy's book, but come on, isn't that overkill? I love movies, but if they push 3 hours in length, I start looking for something else to see. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
The way I see it the thicker the book the more I get for my $$$ .. that is if the price is the same as the thinner books.  Plus, sometimes a book is so good that you just don't want it to end. 

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just bought Montauk's Book.  Based on the size of it, I don't think I'll get to it too soon.
Actually it isn't that bad.  Question for all you avid readers if I may, ...Does the thickness of the book come into play as to whether or not you will buy it?  Or if you know it's going to be good, or heard it was good, the amount of pages is irrevelant?  I really wanted to buy Slick Willy's book, but come on, isn't that overkill? I love movies, but if they push 3 hours in length, I start looking for something else to see. 

A good book is a good book, regardless of length. However, Slick Willy's book is the definitely not good. My personal "best movie of all time" is Apocalypse Now, easily pushes 3 hours.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gummibearz
    • View Profile
    • Email
i'd have to say one of my all time favorite books is "the fountainhead" and "atlas shrugged"  both by ayn rand.
Attending:  Tulane, Class of 2008!

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
wuts her deal anyway... transin dental implants or something....

C.