Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To retake or not to retake--advice needed  (Read 953 times)

poirot

• View Profile
To retake or not to retake--advice needed
« on: June 06, 2004, 11:37:51 PM »
I'm trying to decide whether to retake the LSAT this Monday and could use some advice.  I took it a year ago (June 2003) after quite a bit of practice and got a 166.  My practice scores had ranged from 168-178, hovering mostly in the low 170s.  I wound up putting law school off for a year, and while I am not terribly unhappy with my score, I feel I could do better and am inclined to retake it.  The difference between a 166 and a 171 could be decisive at many top schools.

On the other hand, I have not had much time to study.  (I expect this fall to be even busier so October is not a good option.)  Further, I am wondering whether my practice scores might have been higher because I was taking older preptests, which some posts on this discussion board have suggested tend to be easier.  I have also heard that the June administration can be more difficult, as it tends to be the favored time for the better-prepared, possibly also lowering my score.

I did not have any identifiable reason (eg, noisy neighbor, uncomfortable chair, etc) that would explain my drop on the actual exam.  Is it common for people to score worse than on any of their practice tests?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attending: Michigan
Waitlisted: NYU
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Northwestern, USC, BC, Fordham
Rejected: Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, Texas, Stanford

Law School Numbers

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: To retake or not to retake--advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 11:58:27 PM »
One thing you have to consider is that most schools average your LSAT scores.  So if you want them to take your LSAT score to be a 170, you'd have to get a 174 when you retake.

What's your gpa?

I would retake... but I have issues. 

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:36:50 AM »
Subtract the "June administration can be more difficult" from your thought process.  This is simply not true.  Your test is scaled by previous administrations' experimental sections, so the people you're taking it with will have no bearing on your score or the difficulty of the test.

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:40:52 AM »
Have you taken any practice tests recently? If so, how are you scoring on those?

poirot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 10:03:08 AM »
My gpa is 3.48.  I took a practice two days ago on which I got a 171.
Attending: Michigan
Waitlisted: NYU
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Northwestern, USC, BC, Fordham
Rejected: Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, Texas, Stanford

Law School Numbers

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 10:13:58 AM »
Candide,

How do they calculate percentiles if you are not compared with people taking the same test?

Quaker
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

M2

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 10:17:34 AM »
Candide,

How do they calculate percentiles if you are not compared with people taking the same test?

Quaker

As I understand it, It's based on when those test questions were given as experimental sections in previous exams.

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 10:32:37 AM »
Well that would explain why they don't release those sections I suppose.
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 11:18:25 AM »
Well that would explain why they don't release those sections I suppose.

Exactly.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:32:36 PM »
I think that if you really think you can do better you should re-take.  When I first took the MCAT I got a 31 (which is kinda like getting a 165 on the LSAT).  It was good enough to get me into a good med school, but I wanted to aim higher.  Everyone told me I was totally insane for wanting to retake, but I did and I got a 34 (which is kinda like getting a 172 on the LSAT).  I just think it's better to risk doing worse than to spend your whole life wondering if you could have done better.  And the LSAT is one of those tests that are easy to retake since there's nothing you have to have memorized.