Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vanderbilt waitlist  (Read 2902 times)

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
Re: Vanderbilt waitlist
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 03:04:05 PM »
After doing the math, Vandy was still a little more expensive than Emory (even if I lived cheaply).  Although, I think smaller cost of living things like less driving, cheaper food/nightlife, etc. will make the gap even smaller...the big difference is in average salary (which isn't a super reliable number).  I'm hoping the post-graduation salary differences will help me pay off those loans faster.

Anyways, I think it'll still be Vandy unless Emory suddenly offers me another 10-15K per year.

I'm still going to wait on Cornell and UVA, but unlike before, I'm not be quite as willing to wait until the last minute on Cornell (i.e. if I don't hear something by the time I move to Nashville, I'll probably withdraw from the list). I'll stay on UVA's waitlist until the end, though.
ATTENDING: Vanderbilt!! (10K Scholarship)
Accepted: Emory (10K Scholarship)
Waitlist: UVA
Formerly Reserved, but now Waitlisted: Cornell
Denied: Gtown, NYU, Columbia, UMich

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 07:02:15 PM »
I feel that Vandy is much much better than Emory.  So I would go there unless Emory's scholarship is 75% of the tuition or above. 

After doing the math, Vandy was still a little more expensive than Emory (even if I lived cheaply).  Although, I think smaller cost of living things like less driving, cheaper food/nightlife, etc. will make the gap even smaller...the big difference is in average salary (which isn't a super reliable number).  I'm hoping the post-graduation salary differences will help me pay off those loans faster.

Anyways, I think it'll still be Vandy unless Emory suddenly offers me another 10-15K per year.

I'm still going to wait on Cornell and UVA, but unlike before, I'm not be quite as willing to wait until the last minute on Cornell (i.e. if I don't hear something by the time I move to Nashville, I'll probably withdraw from the list). I'll stay on UVA's waitlist until the end, though.

mopete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »
Just got off Vandy WL. Im kind of shocked because I had a 3.2 and 166. I was headed to Colorado with just 6K first yr only.  If I want to practice in the Intermountain West (I am from Utah and love to ski) is Vandy the better choice?  Probably no $$$ from Vandy, so I'm figuring that when all is said and done, Vandy will cost 20-30k more than Colorado.  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Everyman

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 09:53:33 PM »
Just got off Vandy WL. Im kind of shocked because I had a 3.2 and 166. I was headed to Colorado with just 6K first yr only.  If I want to practice in the Intermountain West (I am from Utah and love to ski) is Vandy the better choice?  Probably no $$$ from Vandy, so I'm figuring that when all is said and done, Vandy will cost 20-30k more than Colorado.  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

I saw your thread on xoxo.

Depends on how quickly you want to go back to the west, IMO.  No doubt Vandy is the far superior school.  If you couldn't find work out there right away, then you could lateral a few years down the road.  Plus, I assume you have a connection to the area, so they'll be more willing to hear from you.

BigBadBo

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 09:59:58 PM »
I had a missed call from Vandy today (but no message?).  I know this because I called back the number and it was some sort of outward telephone only. 

I increased my LSAT from 161 to 172 so that might explain the call... but I honestly don't know if they even have my new score. 

john_wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 11:42:21 PM »
mopete, if you want job prospects in the West let me know.  I will be a Vandy 2L next year, and I am from the west.

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 11:38:32 AM »
mopete, I'm not sure where Colorado ranks or anything, but my gut feeling is that Vandy is the better choice.  Vandy doesn't limit you to just the southeast or Nashville (at least I hope not). 

I've made the same decision with Emory...it's going to cost me an extra $30K to go to Vandy, but I think it's worth it in the end.

ATTENDING: Vanderbilt!! (10K Scholarship)
Accepted: Emory (10K Scholarship)
Waitlist: UVA
Formerly Reserved, but now Waitlisted: Cornell
Denied: Gtown, NYU, Columbia, UMich

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »
mopete, I'm not sure where Colorado ranks or anything, but my gut feeling is that Vandy is the better choice.  Vandy doesn't limit you to just the southeast or Nashville (at least I hope not). 

I've made the same decision with Emory...it's going to cost me an extra $30K to go to Vandy, but I think it's worth it in the end.

There is no comparison between Colorado and Vandy....

vandyhopeful

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 06:22:29 PM »
Kevin, did you make your decision re: vandy and emory? I went to Emory and loved my time there.  Nonetheless, I am looking for a change of pace and really want to go to vandy.  Where are you leaning?

vandyhopeful

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 06:27:00 PM »
Well, I just got in at Vandy.  So, now I have the Vandy vs. Emory dilemma.  I pretty sure I'm leaning towards Vandy based on job prospects, family, and because I really liked it during my visit.  It'll be tough to pass up the money Emory is giving me, but I think Vandy is worth it.

where are you leaning towards?  where are you going?