Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vanderbilt waitlist  (Read 2893 times)

Kevin83

• 167 / 3.6
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GatorKevin1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vanderbilt waitlist
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 01:45:25 PM »
Were those lawyers from South Florida or from all over?  Not doubting you -- I'm only curious.  I have a feeling that Emory would carry a good name in North or even Central Florida, and on the same token I wouldn't be surprised if Miami doesn't think much of it.

uvablue

• Stats: GPA - 3.5 (UVA), LSAT - 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 02:04:07 PM »
I don't want to start a whole argument here or anything, but I feel like in the Deep South (maybe excluding South Florida)...Emory and Vandy are pretty close in terms of reputation.  I think most of that is due to the fact that there are a lot of Emory grads in the southeast while Vandy grads spread out a little more.  Honestly, if you know you want to practice or clerk in the South, specifically Atlanta or Georgia, I say you can't go wrong with either school.  Now, if you know you want to practice in New York, Vandy is the choice.
ATTENDING: Vanderbilt!! (10K Scholarship)
Accepted: Emory (10K Scholarship)
Waitlist: UVA
Formerly Reserved, but now Waitlisted: Cornell
Denied: Gtown, NYU, Columbia, UMich

HeatFan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 02:39:17 PM »
Were those lawyers from South Florida or from all over?  Not doubting you -- I'm only curious.  I have a feeling that Emory would carry a good name in North or even Central Florida, and on the same token I wouldn't be surprised if Miami doesn't think much of it.

Alot were from Biglaw in South Florida, SW Florida from Naples to Tampa area, and just the general impression of lawyers that I know from family and friends from other areas of the country.  It isn't that they feel Emory doesn't have a good name. Instead they just think of it as another good law school, but not one which will give you an extra advantage over other schools in the area you want to practice.  They aren't wowed when they see an Emory resume come across their desk. The schools they mentioned that will make a difference are the obvious top law schools. 
I don't know many lawyers from the northern Florida area so I can't speak to what they think.
Other than that, they said go to the best law school in the region you want to practice.
Good luck with your decision

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 01:53:15 AM »
Vanderbilt > Emory

Plain and simple no matter where you want to work.

But,

Atlanta > Nashville ...

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 11:43:35 PM »
I went to Vanderbilt for undergrad. I really didn't like Nashville at all. I live in Atlanta and I have been in the Emory area a number of times and it just has a better vibe as far as colleges go. Vanderbilt is right in the middle of Nashville but it has no college feel. The area of Atlanta where Emory is has a great atmosphere for college kids in my opnion.

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 09:44:21 AM »
I went to Vanderbilt for undergrad. I really didn't like Nashville at all. I live in Atlanta and I have been in the Emory area a number of times and it just has a better vibe as far as colleges go. Vanderbilt is right in the middle of Nashville but it has no college feel. The area of Atlanta where Emory is has a great atmosphere for college kids in my opnion.

That's interesting that you would mention that fincavigia.  I work at Emory and have grown up around it, and I just got back from visiting Vandy (I had been there a few times before).  I got the feeling that Vandy was much more collegial.  You can walk to campus from apartments, and the law school is part of the overall university.  Obviously, since I'm planning to go to Emory, I'm not knocking it, but I loved the fact that at Vandy I had the option of walking or driving to campus (with close parking) and that there are a lot of bars and restaurants nearby.  At Emory, you have to drive to go out most places (unless you go to the two or three restaurant/bars in the Village, which most law students don't go to).  If everything was even in terms of rankings, money, placement, etc.; I'd pick Vandy, but that's just me.  To each their own.

By the way, if you can't tell, I had a great visit to Vandy, and I got positive vibes about my waitlist status.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 01:15:58 PM »
Well I guess it goes to show. Part of my opinion might be based on the length of time I spent in that town. After awhile, most places lose some lustre anyway. Even though I live in Atlanta, I don't often see the Emory area.

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 09:41:13 PM »
Allow me to offer some insight from a 2004 reject of Vandy.

I am from nashville, went to highschool and college there. Vandy was my reach/dream school. My LSAT was no where near their marks (about 9-10 pts/questions shy). That combined with my app that was completed late (late feb) spelled doom for me despite my 3.7 cumulative undergrad and 3.9 in major (Finance).

Nashville is a great place. I haven't spent much time in Atlanta though. I have *2* friends who go to Vandy. One I graduated highschool with and who is entering her 3rd year this year. Another is my wife's friend. Neither made Law Review. In fact they made C's at first then half and half B's/A's second semester 1L. That being said--these people were smart as hell....I guess its a rough environment.

I ended up just waiting out a year and starting my MBA at Mississippi College in Jackson, MS where my wife is from. I ended up just applying to their joint JD/MBA program since I am already down here and bought a brand new house etc...so I'm starting 1L this fall. I have hopes of acing my first year and transferring to Vandy but I don't think that will happen.

Anyways enough rambling. I would lean towards Vandy over Emory simply because I'm more familiar with the area, and I love their law school---very nice. However, its all about where you want to practice and if there are firms you could see yourself working at who recruit at your firm. Since you said Southeast then I would wager EITHER Emory or Vanderbilt will land you a nice job in the south.

Best of Luck.

uvablue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 10:54:48 AM »
Well, I just got in at Vandy.  So, now I have the Vandy vs. Emory dilemma.  I pretty sure I'm leaning towards Vandy based on job prospects, family, and because I really liked it during my visit.  It'll be tough to pass up the money Emory is giving me, but I think Vandy is worth it.

GoHuskies05

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 02:03:36 PM »
Well, I just got in at Vandy.  So, now I have the Vandy vs. Emory dilemma.  I pretty sure I'm leaning towards Vandy based on job prospects, family, and because I really liked it during my visit.  It'll be tough to pass up the money Emory is giving me, but I think Vandy is worth it.

Is Vandy more expensive than Emory after the scholarship?  Emory seemed ridiculously expensive to me.  $10k per year is not very much after everything is said and done.  I'm sure if you skimp on food and apartment in Nashville you could essentially make up the money after three years.  At least it would be very close.  This is a no brainer to me....I would choose Vandy.  Good luck. 

BTW, are you still waiting on Cornell, or has the Vandy offer ended that interest?